Troubleshooting Oil Pressure Problem - 1995 Honda Passport

This rig is running at 6lbs at idle, and gets to about 30 when at 55 miles per hour. I am told that these rigs just run low pressure; but this is worrysome. I heard somewhere about the possibility of an oil pressure relief valve being stuck open. How does one troubleshoot this short of opening everything up and looking for one's self?

TIA

Reply to
ajpdla

Are you sure you have a legitimate problem, or is it imaginary? Is the CEL (Check Engine Light) coming on? My owner's manual says that it's normal for the Oil Pressure light to come on at low idle speeds when stopped. My Haynes manual says that normal oil pressure is 10 PSI at 500 rpm and 30-55 psi at

2000 rpm, and I know my '96 Rodeo 3.2L V6 runs really low oil pressures. Like you, I was worried when I first bought it because of the ridiculously high end of the oil pressure gauge (215 PSI). I thought that it should probably run somewhere in the middle to be normal, but not so. To cure my anxieties, I changed to a higher viscosity oil (50W) and that brought the pressure up a bit.

I simply quit worrying about it. That took care of the problem.

Reply to
Lugnut