Oil filter

Ever since I bought my 2002 Trailblazer with 45 miles on the odometer, I have bought Mobil 1, 5w30 oil and a NAPA Gold filter because those items have been considered the best available. Now, Mobil 1 has upgraded (?) to an extended mileage formula and I just discovered my beloved NAPA Gold is nothing more than a routine Wix brand filter.

What to do? Who do I believe? Why buy NAPA when I can get a Wix filter for less? Why buy the new extended formula of Mobil 1 when the original formula is still available and $1.00 less per quart?

I have changed the oil and filter between 3-4 thousand miles and now have

65,000 trouble free miles. I plan to die a happy old man and be buried in this vehicle. 25 more years at least, please.

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Old Uncle Steve

Reply to
OUS

As far as the filter goes Wix has always supplied NAPA with them. So you shouldn't feel that the Wix is inferior, after all you were delighted with it when it cost more. As far as the oil you won't be able to buy it once the current supply is exhausted. I use Mobile 1 synthetic 5w30 and Wix filters. I have 75,000 miles on my '99 K1500 with the 5.7 liter and so far not one problem, I also change oil and filter at 3,000 miles.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Change the filter every 3K but go at least 6K with full synthetic oil. I used to take the 6K oil from my good vehicle and put it into my beater for

3K more.

Reply to
Shades

Brian,

When you switch to the new formulation of Mobil 1 will you extend the miles between changes also? Or are you satisfied to be paying $1.00 more per quart? My Trailblazer holds 7 quarts so that is a noticeable expense for this old retiree.

OUS

Reply to
OUS

Way too much effort for this old guy. The mess I would make just changing the filter would probably put 4 quarts of oil on the driveway.

OUS

Reply to
OUS

I understand that on a fixed income that you have to watch your expenses. You may want to consider looking at another brand of oil, as there are more than one brand that I would and have used. I've used Castrol in the past, Shell Rotella and Kendall. All of which I like very much and have had no complaints with.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Even if you have a 1qt filter, you would only have to replace a hair over 1 qt... what's in the filter and a bit extra.

Reply to
Shades

Yeah, but you ain't never seen me working on my car. :>)

OUS

Reply to
OUS

LOL...Okay Mr. Murphy...LOL

Reply to
Shades

Even of you leave oil in longer do change the filter every 3K or so and top off oil. Do not run it 10 or 15K or more on one filter. I have

172K on my 89 4x4 burb and it burns no oil (it is down a quart about every 3.5K miles when I change it and Ihave used Fram filters on it about 90% or the time too. I have used Mobile one in it since new and when I drove it a lot cross country I used to change filter at about 3500 miles and top it off and change it all at about 6000 miles.
Reply to
SnoMan

Why do you change your oil so often ? You are wasting you money. That truck is nota '59 model and shouldnt be treated like one. Why dont you just go by the oil life indicater in the truck . the one General Motors spent millions of dollars to develop. Cars today do not need oil changes as often as old stuff. the fact it holds 7 quarts should tell you something about oil change intervals. I run my oil 6 months or 6000 miles minimum , never had a problem, present cars a 98 and 2000, both over 100,000 miles in desert heat {113 today} . I do use Mobil 1 oil ands factory filters. Scott

Reply to
zonie

I dont have much to say on the oil issue, but in my opinion, Wix Filters are the best out there. The Napa Gold filter is Wix best filter but at less price, the same filter but "Wix Brand Name" cost more. I have a friend who has been running wix filters at his airport on airplanes, tractors, ect. They have used Wix on air planes since 1955. Piper Aircrafts have actually done tests on these filters to measure the about of particles trapped, since an average air plane engine must get a complete overhaul every 13,000 hours when used for commerical or flight training. Using synthetic oil and wix filters, Piper Aircraft has extended the overhaul interval from 12k hours to

15k. Incredible in my opinion, since my dad is also a pilot and owns a helicopter. But on the oil issue, I use Schaeffers Supreme 7000 15w-40 in my pickup, and Schaeffers Supreme 7000 10w-30 in my car. My S-10 just rolled over 400k miles, and its been running Synthetic Blend since new, my 2003 Grand Am has 86k miles and has also been running Synthetic Blend since driven off the car lot. Looking into Schaeffers, I swear by it, but everyone's opinon is different. They have always claimed longer oil change intervals long before Mobil One came out with that shit.

Check this site out too, its an engine oil message forum

Here is the website for Schaeffers also.

An American Revolution

I change my oil every 5k, I do a lot of driving, and my engine has 400 k miles on it, if that says anything.

Reply to
An American Revolution

f*ck gm and their oil life indicatior. I have GM seen vehicles go 15k and more miles before the computer said the oil needed to be changed, I'm sorry, but in mu opinion, the oil has been broken down way to much, not to mention the wear and tear from friction. I feel safter with fresher, I have alwasy changed my engine oil every 5k and trans every 35k, and all my vehicles have made it over 300k miles

Reply to
An American Revolution