Oil leak from pump - advice

1994 K1500 5.7TBI 175K miles

Hello again. The engine is leaking oil from the pump where it meets the block. Is there a gasket there that can be replaced without the need to purchase a new pump or other expensive parts? Should I try to fix or just leave well enough alone as the truck runs excellent but needs a quart every month or about 1K miles. All thoughts are appreciated.

//Hunter

Reply to
hunter

Put the oil pan back on.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Why bother puttin' the pan back on? If he doesn't it'll only leak oil when he's trying to add oil to the block.

Reply to
Don

What pump are you referring to? H

Reply to
Hairy

How about running the engine upside down?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Thanks for not flamming me Hairy, all the other flammers are just that. I miss wrote; it is leaking where the oil filter mount meets the engine block. Not the pump as I know the pump is covered by the pan. I guess the other readers could not wait to flame someone, oh well, I guess I earned it. I appreciate your question which allowed me to re-read what I wrote. Also, the actual leak is about 1qt/1.5K miles.

//Hunter

Reply to
hunter

go to napa and purchase the 2 gaskets for the OF mount...clean the area up really well and be really careful to torque the adapter back on evenly... if you dont the coaxial gaskets (1 rubber square "O" ring on the adapter, one fiber on the block) won't seal right.

hth, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

It's all in fun!

A flame is a personal attack, and lots of those happen around here too.

Just mellow out, and have fun. Someone would have answered you after you said the filter adapter.

Refinish King

PS I still vote on running the engine upside down, if you don't want to change the gasket!

Reply to
Refinish King

Why not, I once saw it done on the A-Team... If BA can do you can too.... :-)

Reply to
rock_doctor

LOL

BA was da man!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Okay, I'll try to have fun! (a few hours later...) Tried running the engine upside down, now it leaks oil from the valve covers, shit!

I was feeling vulnerable before, now I feel better, had a beer and some beef jerky.

To Bret, thanks for the advice, I'll get the two gaskets and torque the bolts evenly. Do you know the proper torque? From the size of the bolt I figure about 18ftlbs?

Refinish King, do you know the proper torque?

//Hunter

Reply to
hunter

a quarter turn before the bolt breakes or strippes, what ever comes first

Reply to
mathijs

I'm not sure:

But, I'd sat 15 Ft/Lbs is sufficient on a 8MMX1.25?

If that's the size? Just a guess on my part.

Refinish King

PS Silicone in the oil filler and PCV valve, then it won't leak with the engine upside down! LOL

Reply to
Refinish King

Now:

That was uncalled for!

LOFL!

Refinish King

message

Reply to
Refinish King

Not sure about the size yet but sounds about right from memory.

Too late for the silicone, I already put the engine back in the correct side up. I'll try that next time.

Thanks again.

//Hunter

Reply to
hunter

Great!

Does it run the right way up now?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Yep, but it took some time to let the carb get un-flooded. Un-flooded? Is that a word?! I haven't been to the supplier for the gaskets yet. Probably do in a week or two, I still have a few qts of oil left!

//Hunter

Reply to
hunter