Question about aftermarket cooling fasteners

Hi everyone, I just installed a transmission cooler a few weeks back. Now the tanks on my radiator have cracked. My question is:

Does anyone know of anywhere you can buy the fasteners that are sort of like a zip tie?

They push thru the radiator core and then you slide on a keeper on the other side. I have not seen these anywhere else but in the tranny cooler kit that I bought. I would like to use the same type of fastener when I put in the new radiator but I guess I could also securely wire tie the cooler to the framework too.

any thoughts? Chris

Reply to
Chris

Do you mean the "tangs" on the radiator have cracked? The little bracket doohickies that the fasteners attach to?

Reply to
Tom Zweifel

why not do it right and fabricate some brackets to hold it away from the radiator and AC condenser ?

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

No, the plastic side of the radiator just below the top hose nipple has cracked. Gary, I did not think about a bracket but that wouldn't much of a problem. I just figured that the plastic mounting hardware was what was commonly used since it came with the cooler kit. Haven't had much experience with this stuff before.

Reply to
Chris

I say that because it makes NO sense to clamp a 'cooler' to an AC condenser that can hit 300 degrees on a hot day

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Chris,

Jegs

and Summitt
both have them.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

The newer kits are coming with foam spacers that keeps the cooler about

1/4"-1/2" off the surface of the condensor. Albeit not as good as fabricating a mounting bracket that keeps her well away, but if they're not touching there isn't as much heat transfer.

What do you use to make the brackets? I'm sure you've found some part that is easily modified

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Cool, I'll have to check them out. Need to go get the new radiator first.

Reply to
Chris

the Hayden coolers come with 4 metal straps about 1-1/4 by 8, nuts bolts, tapping screws, lock washers, all you need

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

I'll have to agree with Gary on this one. I installed a new Hayes cooler and I fabricated brackets to hang it between the grill and radiator (right next to the condensor). The air flow is better and I really didn't see any advantages in having it touching (or almost touching) a hot radiator or condensor.

****************************************** I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~
Reply to
Rich B

Is it the OEM style coolers that come with that hardware? I bought a Hayden (can't remember the model #) a few months back for my truck and it came with the straps and foam. I used some of the old sheet metal from my El Camino quarters to make up a few mounting brackets.............PITA.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Chris looks like you have plenty of good advice. To answer your direct question, I've seen the fasteners sold as a kit at Pep Boys. I've used them mainly to attach the cooler to a bracket rather than to the radiator or a/c condensor. Home Depot has some strap material, generally found in the plumbing area. It's about 1/2"-5/8" wide and holes every inch or so. Comes in 18"-24" lengths. Probably around 20 ga. thick. Don't recall the name. This is not the stuff that comes in a roll. Makes good material for making mounting brackets.

Reply to
DonW

Question about aftermarket cooling fasteners Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sat, Sep 20, 2003, 5:21pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net (Chris) Hi everyone, I just installed a transmission cooler a few weeks back. Now the tanks on my radiator have cracked. My question is: Does anyone know of anywhere you can buy the fasteners that are sort of like a zip tie? They push thru the radiator core and then you slide on a keeper on the other side. I have not seen these anywhere else but in the tranny cooler kit that I bought. I would like to use the same type of fastener when I put in the new radiator but I guess I could also securely wire tie the cooler to the framework too. any thoughts?

Chris .................

Chris, You can use long tie-straps from any auto parts or hardware store, combined with "fender" washers to secure it.

Cut the "locking end" off one tire strap to make

Install a "fender washer" on one of the long tie straps....

Run it through the condenser and the radiator...

Install another "fender washer" on the protruding end.....

Install the "locking end" that you cut off the other tie strap to secure it.

Buy some rubber grommets to install between the washers and the core facings for added clearance.

.. Better Suggestion? Do what Gary said.....

buy some 1/2" x 6" metal hardware straps at a hardware store and mount it like Gary suggested........optimum cooling. The straps are pre-drilled with holes.

hope we helped, Scrib Abell

utilized for it's intended purpose, the following is a vengfull tool.............

the easiest way to get a job done..................is to get the shop braggart to "show" you how to do it..................and look astonished when he's through...............

Reply to
Scribb Abell

Aluminim bars or straps work well, something in the range of a sixteenth thick, by three eighths or a half inch wide. Easy to bend, cut and drill, but substantial enough for the purpose. Available at hardware stores, hobby shops, etc.

Reply to
houblues

just adding my experience..

I found the supplied brackets a little weak

go by lowes and get some of the flat metal stock they have near the screws and bolts area. its about 1 1/4 wide by maybe an 1/8 thick by 4 feet long.. Cut to length use a vise and hammer to shape bracket to fit your vehicle and drill some holes in the appropriate area.

I used this to mount >

Reply to
Elbert Clarke