Controlling Engine Cooling 22re 1985

I want to control engine heat. Why does the temp gauge go up on highway speed? More air is flowing through the radiator and it should be cooler. Why?

List of new parts: 3 core Radiator, Factory fan clutch, thermostat 194 degree, new upper and two lower hose and pipe, new water pump, belts, tranny cooler, had catalytic fore and aft pressure checked, ok.

What I want: When going down a desert hwy at noon and 125-130 degrees ambient, A/C on, I want the temp gauge to be no more than a third of the way. This is my goal, now how can I accomplish it???? If you have a suggestion please post. Thanks

Reply to
PCMentor

1/3 of the way? Most vehicles normally run with the temp in the middle (roughly) of the gauge. You need to bear in mind that you're transfering heat from water, through metal (the radiator) to air. The hotter the air, the poorer the heat transfer. Why not put in a mechanical temp gauge (aftermarket) and see what temp you're actually at before trying anything else? You don't say what vehicle you have, but some newer cars don't have much of an opening for air entry to the radiator. Older cars all had a massive grill opening for maximum airflow. (and to showcase the massive chrome grill LOL)
Reply to
max-income