Re: Phantom code, '88 S-10

Yeah, it was a phantom code you get when the vacuum line is off and nobody notices. Problem solved, all by myself!

Hatt

Been a while since I've been here. Since then I've had to have my > 2.8v6 rebuilt. Luckily, I found a retired engine rebuilder business > owner to do it, saving me some money. Unlucky for me, he left some > wires on both sides of the block touching the exhaust manifold, and I > started getting a new code. I had all those wires repaired, but the > guy who did that said I probably should get a new under the hood loom > to do it right, but he didn't know if one could be obtained any

more.

> On my way to work the next day, on came the "service engine soon" > light again and sets code 43. The electronic guy said it was a sort > of phantom code on these things, and very difficult to track down, and > could be very expensive to try to fix. He suggested I keep driving it > till it became a constant, or led to a more obvious problem. [I can > turn the ignition off, restart, and the light goes away]. > > After spending a few thousand dollars having mechanics replace

sensors

and do just about everything possible to the "outside," of this > engine, I finally went to mobile1, then broke a pushrod, which led to > the rebuild, at which time bad cam bearings, bad cam, [some lobes > .060" under], and bad main bearings were found. This was within two > weeks after switching to mobile1. Can it be said conclusively that > mobile1 caused this? No. Consensus is that that was a bad idea > however. Consensus even says that 5w 30 oils are a bad idea in this > engine. Now I don't want to start a war over the virtues of

mobile1,

and if I do, I won't take part in it because I don't have the > knowledge, but it sure seems odd that these things went after > switching to it. And yes, I do know that they may have already been > on their way. > > In the meantime I'll listen to theories about the cause and fix for > code 43. > > Hatt > > > > >
Reply to
DJ Hatt