REAL air filter testing. More proof that K&N is junk.

Let's see K&N passed MORE dirt/dust and plugged up faster than just about every other filter tested.

(Arlen) SPICER wrote,

"Now that I am not doing the tests and my objectivity is not necessary, let me explain my motivation. The reason I started this crusade was that I was seeing people spend a lot of money on aftermarket filters based on the word of a salesperson or based on the misleading, incomplete or outright deceiving information printed on boxes and in sales literature. Gentlemen and Ladies, Marketing and the lure of profit is VERY POWERFUL! It is amazing how many people believe that better airflow = more power! Unless you have modifications out the wazoo, a more porous filter will just dirty your oil! Some will say " I have used aftermarket brand X for XXX # years with no problems. The PROBLEM is you spent a chunk of change on a product that not only DID NOT increase your horsepower, but also let in a lot of dirt while doing it! Now how much is a lot? ANY MORE THAN NECESSARY is TOO MUCH!

Others are persuaded by the claims of aftermarket manufacturers that their filters filter dirt "better than any other filter on the market." Sounds very enticing. To small timers like you and me, spending $1500 to test a filter sounds like a lot. But if you were a filter manufacturer and you believed your filter could filter dirt better than any other media on the market, wouldn't you want to prove it? Guess what. Test your filter vs. the OE paper. It will cost you $3000 and for that price you will have the data that you can use in your advertisements. Your investment will be returned a thousand fold! EASIER than shooting fish in a barrel! So why don't these manufacturers do this? Hmmm? Probably not because they would feel guilty about taking more market share.

Now I am not saying that ALL aftermarket filters are useless. A paper filter does not do well if directly wetted or muddy. It may collapse. This is why many off-road filters are foam. It is a compromise between filtering efficiency and protection from a collapsed filter. Now how many of our trucks collapse their filters from mud and water? However, if a filter is using "better airflow" as their marketing tool, remember this....Does it flow better? At very high airflow volumes, probably. BUT, Our trucks CAN'T flow that much air unless super-modified, so what is the point? The stock filter will flow MORE THAN ENOUGH AIR to give you ALL THE HORSEPOWER the engine has to give. And this remains true until the filter is dirty enough to trip the air filter life indicator. At that point performance will decline somewhat. Replace the filter and get on with it.

SURPRISE!!!

Reply to
Steve W.

"Steve W."

uh. ya ! if it was not true then why would people use super chargers? or ram air?

nope fram doesn't cost me one extra dime. I run ram air into it for the extra flow with out the extra dirt getting through.

no filter on the market will ever beat an old oil bath air filter for catching dirt.

everyone i know that is going to get their truck wet or muddy protects their paper filter with foam....not replacing one for the other.

if you want more air, increase the amount of air, but not by decreasing the filter area per square inch.

At very high airflow volumes, probably.

super moded??? hey a good 30,000 rpm fan is cheap.

Reply to
S.S.I.N.

I still don't see how anybody could defend K+N after holding one to the light and seeing direct light streaming through lots of little holes.They're a joke period. But the guys doing this study should have used a Dyno test with each before stating that there was no gain in power using one.How do we know this? I would imagine that a truck motor making 310+ horse power flows better than the test 350 CFM anyway. Best...Brian O.

Reply to
Brian Orion