K & N air filter

Hi, I am thinking to but K&N air filter for my Corolla. I spend $15 annually for paper filter. From advertisement, it seems to me that K&N air filter for Corolla costs $40, but it is washable and can last lifetime. Does anybody have any experience using such filter and how are you going to wash it and what is frequency to have it washed? Is it worthy to purchase such filter?

Reply to
wenmang

Here is the K&N filter thread again. The K&N filter lets more air in your engine AND, consequently, more dirt. You get more of everything, the good AND the bad.

Reply to
Bassplayer12

A clean paper filter is better for most people than a K&N.

There is lots of argument as to whether a K&N actually stops dirt or not. I added an extra layer of covering to hold more oil to trap the dirt, and I'm reasonably satisfied that I actually have an air filter, but lots of people disagree. I was kind of backed into my K&N -- it came with a fuel injection system that I installed -- and I would not have chosen to use it had I been given the chance. Having said that, if you clean it two or three times a year and keep it doused in the special oil they sell, you should be OK with it.

I think you are better off with the paper filters though.

Reply to
J Strickland

Normally once a year or 10k miles, clean it with K&N cleaner fluid, then oil with K&N Filter oil.

shake off any excess, refit it.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

my goal is to save money by reusing the K&N filter, but the cost of K&N cleaner fluid and Filter oil offset the purpose of saving, I guess that I may continue to purchase the paper filter annually instead.

Reply to
wenmang

my goal is to save money by reusing the K&N filter, but the cost of K&N cleaner fluid and Filter oil offset the purpose of saving, I guess that I may continue to purchase the paper filter annually instead.

Reply to
wenmang

If your car is in warranty, I would call the service manager at your dealership and ask if it will create warranty problems. On GM and some Chrysler products it will. They claim the oil screws up the MAF sensor. On a GM car, they just remove the K&N and replace it with the stock filter, replace the MAF sensor, clean out the air track and charge you around $700.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

That is simply not true. The cleaning kit will last through several cleanings. I have the same cleaning kit for 5 or 6 years now and it's still good for another cleaning cycle or two.

As for cleaning, the solution is essentially Simple Green or a product like that, and the oil is a special product that can be purchased separately and lasts a very long time.

After making an argument in favor of the K&N, I think you are still better off with paper filters, just not for the reasons you used.

Reply to
J Strickland

For a lot less money than a K&N filter and cleaner, one could simply change the OEM style air filter more often. A clean OEM filter cleans the air better than a K&N and lets in enough air to do the job.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Hmmm. Maybe with some cars.

My 2005 Sienna's stock Toyota air filter is around $20. The Toyota TRD branded K&N filter is $50. Do the math (and no, the aftermarket air filter's like the $10 Purolator at Wally-World are NOT as good as the Toyota air filter -- they don't even fit well).

TRD branded Toyota parts are covered by Toyota's warranty (which is why you can have a TRD Supercharger installed thru Toyota and still have the engine covered under Toyota warranty).

And an OEM air filter does not necessary clean as well as a K&N filter and the OEM filter definitely doesn't pass as much air. On the other hand, an un-oiled K&N is not going to trap much dirt. I'll assume that those GM and Chysler users problably put too much oil on the filter anyway. In any case, if you are worried, remove it (and stick the stock filter back) before taking the car in for service.

Later.

Reply to
Private Person