Remedy for cracked head?

Never had a cracked head before and am wondering if they can be repaired, or if they need replaced. If repairing them is only a bandage, then let me know because I'm not pissing around with scabbing something together. I plan to keep this truck as long as it runs (as far as I know).

'94 K1500 Suburban 350/4L60E 120,000 miles.

It's either a blown head gasket or cracked head on the driver side causing the wide temperature fluctuations. Passenger side stays normal with the gauge in that side, instead.

Thanks, Snowman

Reply to
Snowman

Replace it, 350 heads are cheap. You could get it welded but to do it properly it will cost about what a used head will cost you.

Reply to
Steve W.

If you want a temporary fix put a hand full of black pepper in the rad if the leak is not to bad it will slow it down to seal it up till you get it fixed the head gaskets on my toyota went and pepper cut the amount of antifreeze from 4 litres to 1 littres in a month it stayed that way for a year and a half hehe

Reply to
John

Reply to
Elbert Clarke

Reply to
sidewinder

. Re: Remedy for cracked head? elbert.clarke**@earthlink.net (Elbert=A0Clarke) put forth........

Don't even consider fixing a cracked head, either replace the head with one similar...

or

upgrade with some better cylinder heads.

Elbert, Scrib here, what constitutes a better cylinder head?

Scribs Abell ~~wonders if ole Elbert ev'r heerd of "The Great Escort" head period of auto repair history??...... when the "real deal" wuz the purchase of a repaired cylinder head~~

Reply to
Scribb Abell

Well Scribb there are a number of "better" heads offered ......

it all depends on what one wants to do.

you know in life there are many choices.........

so if you have a cracked head on your escort then by all means go have it welded if that's your choice.

Maybe Ole Scribe might consider what type vehicle we were talking about and what type engine was involved and then consider what it costs for a "used" head... what a good set of aftermarket heads cost, and then maybe what a set or single new head costs???

"Ole Elbert" has been around the game for a little while and still says to replace the head over repairing a cracked cylinder head on a V-8 Chev engine. Last time I checked there are a number of sources of good used cylinder heads for chev V-8 engines, there are a number of sources of aftermarket heads, and one might consider buying a new "OEM" cylinder head...if one were so inclined...

Your car you make the call!!!

Reply to
Elbert Clarke