Fluctuating temp gauge - solved!!

Intake manifold gasket didn't fix my problem, so the heads got pulled (should have put Velcro on this thing). Put a gauge in the driver side head and one in the passenger side. Passenger side read nice and normal, while the driver side was all wacky. -isolated to driver side, at least.

When pulling the head on the driver side, stuff was falling off of it and there was all sorts of garbage around it. Apparently, what had happened was some sort of "stop leak" was used to bandage a problem (possibly the leaky intake gasket) before we bought this three years back. Well, it rared it's ugly head, as things like this ALWAYS do and I was the recipient. This crap was in the ports and had made it's way to the combustion chambers. Probably what was causing the overheating and crud on the spark plugs.

Had the heads rebuilt and a valve job done while they were off, along with magnafluxing. Painted them the RIGHT color, as well as the valve covers. Now, it's back together and runs better than it did when we bought it (all Chevy engines run better when they're orange:-)!

No more fluctuating temp gauge and all's well, since my wife's got her truck back. She's not a car lady anymore.

Moral of the story: NEVER use a fix-it-fast chemical like this because it will bite you where it hurts. NEVER "patch" something together and sell it, like some have mentioned in the very recent past.

About $350 later and hours of pulling my hair out, my lady is, once again, driving her truck.

Thanks to all that offered advice!

Snowman

Reply to
Snowman

~~~~

Fluctuating temp gauge - solved!! Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Tue, Oct 7, 2003, 9:00am (CDT+1) From: somethingorotherdotcom (Snowman) Intake manifold gasket didn't fix my problem, so the heads got pulled (should have put Velcro on this thing). Put a gauge in the driver side head and one in the passenger side. Passenger side read nice and normal, while the driver side was all wacky. -isolated to driver side, at least. When pulling the head on the driver side, stuff was falling off of it and there was all sorts of garbage around it. Apparently, what had happened was some sort of "stop leak" was used to bandage a problem (possibly the leaky intake gasket) before we bought this three years back. Well, it rared it's ugly head, as things like this ALWAYS do and I was the recipient. This crap was in the ports and had made it's way to the combustion chambers. Probably what was causing the overheating and crud on the spark plugs. Had the heads rebuilt and a valve job done while they were off, along with magnafluxing. Painted them the RIGHT color, as well as the valve covers. Now, it's back together and runs better than it did when we bought it (all Chevy engines run better when they're orange:-)! No more fluctuating temp gauge and all's well, since my wife's got her truck back. She's not a car lady anymore. Moral of the story: NEVER use a fix-it-fast chemical like this because it will bite you where it hurts. NEVER "patch" something together and sell it, like some have mentioned in the very recent past. About $350 later and hours of pulling my hair out, my lady is, once again, driving her truck. Thanks to all that offered advice!

Snowman ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Snow, good deal. Good followup

The sections about the "fix-it-fast" cures is very true. I wonder if it would have run as well if you hadn't used the "RIGHT" color.

lol

glad to hear you conquered the beast.....a real show of talent.

Scribs Abell ~~and so is the Snowman~~

Reply to
Scribb Abell

by the way, I should add (in case some hadn't read my first few posts on this) that I did a coolant system flush a couple weeks before I started having all my problems.

Apparently, when I did this, I had diluted the old stuff enough that the stop leak gunk started to break away and this seems to have been the start of my problems.

Snowman

Reply to
Snowman

I told ya it was the head gasket! Dammned stop-leak. My buddies Windstar (did the head gaskets on it a few months back) started puking while he was on vacation in Georgia and the dealership there dumped some stop leak in it to get him home. What a f**kin' mess that stuff makes inside the cooling system. Took me almost as long to get the damned system clean as it did to do the gaskets themselves.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

yeah, I know you did. You know me, though - I want to weigh out ALL my options before I go tearing a motor down if at all possible :-)

Thanks man! Snowman

Reply to
Snowman

I've never heard of a problem like this but it's just another reason to avoid "quick fixes". Another one to avoid is the liquid tire patches. I put some in a truck tire to stop a slow leak and it threw the tire out of balance (it was like driving on a square tire). Had to remove the tire from the wheel and clean everything up.

Reply to
Rich B