Remote activation ABS brakes?

Hi all, Vehicle is 1995 GMC Sierra 1500 4X$ 155,000mi. I bought it used and the brakes were marginal. The ABS module, master cylinder, and pads were replaced. Later, I replaced the rear wheel cylinders, shoes, hardware, and had the drums turned. The brake pedal is still inconsistent and a bit soft. I think there's air in the abs module because when the abs activates the pedal will just about go to the floor. Afterwards, the pedal firms up and feels pretty good, but after awhile it gets inconsistent again. The local chevy dealer wants $150 to bleed the brakes on their scan(m) system. Is there any way to cycle the ABS remotely so I can bleed the brakes? I've heard that some will drive the vehicle and forcefully brake to get the abs system to cycle and then quickly try to bleed them, but there's gotta be a better way..... Any ideas out there? TIA. TomC

Reply to
TomC

The only way to properly do this is with a scan tool and pressure bleeder. I've done it without a pressure bleeder, but the scan tool is essential as that's the only way to perform the "automated bleed procedure".

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Where can I find the "scan tool"? Are they rentable? Can a novice use it? Or, is it a dealer only thing? TIA! TomC

Reply to
TomC

You will be much further ahead to simply pay the dealership to do the job.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Yea, you're probably right; but, it's sorta like going to the doctor's.... what else are they gonna find wrong? TomC

Reply to
TomC

I looked into this on my 2000 s10. There was an old thread where someone posted the directions on how to do it. They claimed they bought a spare ABS system and disassembled it then took the PCB where the contacts are for all the valves and soldered on small push buttons to actuate the valves, then pulled the pcb off their truck, stuck on their modified PCB, turned on the power and pressed buttons at random to open and close all the valves. Seems like it could work in theory but I didn't want to test it so I made sure to not get air in mine.

Reply to
Eugene

doctor's....

I was hoping that some ingenious electrical guru would have figured out a way. I don't know much about the system but it is electrically operated so it doesn't seem like it would take much to supply the right juice to the pumps/solenoids to make them cycle. Sounds like a project for somebody; hint...hint. Anybody know where I can get a schematic/diagram of it? TomC

Reply to
TomC