RPM question

All,

Hi, I just picked up my new truck yesterday. 1996 Chevy K1500 Silverado Z71, 350 engine, automatic (4L60E I believe), not sure of the dif yet (going to be figuring it out today, I hope). My question is regarding the tach and RPM. As I was driving it around, I was doing 75-80 on the highway and the tach said I was doing around 2100 RMP. This seems very, very low to me since to do the same in my Audi (91 200TQ), I'm doing around 3200 RPM. Is this actually possible? Or do I have an issue with the tach?

TIA and Enjoy Bill

Reply to
bill

sounds normal

larger engines don't have to rev as high to maintain speed.

Reply to
Elbert

unless your audi is a v-8, it sounds about right... the fewer the pistons, the higher the revs/red line...

2100 does sound low at 75 mph tho (we're not talking metric here, right?) i'd think that 2100 would be at about 65 or 70 mph?
Reply to
mac davis

probalby has low (numerically) rear gears

I had one a couple years ago that turned 1600 at 60 in 4th, it had 2.73's

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

That's the benefit of Overdrive.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Sounds just about right, same as my 95 pu

Reply to
DeeRHunteR

Thank you everyone who responded. I'm still kind of amazed at it, but I'll just enjoy the fact that if it was 3000 RPM on the highway, I'd get a lot worse gas mileage. On that topic, what kind of gas mileage can I be looking at for this truck? I filled her up as soon as I picked her up, haven't had to fill it again yet.

Thanks again. Bill

Reply to
bill

My 99 K2500 gets around 14 MPG traveling down the highway at 75 MPH with the tach @ 2500 RPM.

Reply to
Ed

Sounds normal, and like you're running 3.73's... :)

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

You should get around 15 for intown driving 17-18 on the interstate(depending on how fast you drive).

Reply to
DeeRHunteR

Sounds right..........mine is a 95 Z71 5.7 auto and at 70 mph the tach is around 1750 rpm.......2.73 rear end.....180,000 miles and keeps on ticking! MRT

Reply to
Mark & Sharla Thompson

Barely broken in. My 95 has 216,000 miles & doesn't tick at all!

Reply to
Stephen Young