High RPM Backfiring...

I had a close call the other day where I had to get in the gas to get out of it so I rammed the gas and hit about 5K rpm. When it hit 5K, it started backfiring rapidly and i had to get off the gas b4 it shifted into 2nd gear. I had a friend tell me it was probably a timing problem so I took it to the dealer and they told me it was my rev limiter, that everything was fine. I still didn't like the sound of it, shouldn't it have shifted b4 hitting the limiter? It seemed as if it wasn't going to shift until i let up on the pedal. If this is the case, what can I do to have it re programmed to shift at 4500K rpm or so without spending $500 on a programmer? Would this be something a shop/dealer can do for cheap? Other than that, everything seems fine. Thanx in advance for any advice.

1999 Chevy Silverado K1500 Z71 5300 Vortec, 68K mi.
Reply to
Another Anonymous