whats the allowable parasitic draw on the battery for a 2004 s10 blazer? im
working on this car for a friend and sears told her the battery tested out ok,
but she has a dead battery in the morning. i'm checking it with a multimeter
and after "sleep" mode the draw goes down to 15 milliamps (.015amp)
I work for BMW and they allow 30 milliamps draw, so i dont see why 15 would
be bad. i have noticed though that sometimes there is an orange light that
stays on on the radio. its the light that turns on when you load a cd. this
is a factory stereo. also she said that the battery doesnt drain down fi she
turns the radio off before shutting of the car.
its been tough to duplicate. everytime i check the draw it seems ok, like i
said at 15 milliamps.
but before i went out there after about a 1/2 hour and there was about 300
milliamps. i started pulling relays from the underhood relay-fuse box and
pulling the daytime running light relay caused the draw to go back down to 15.
i dont know if all my tests are accurate, though, every time you disconnect
the battery you alter the state of various relays and modules, thats why the
oems recommend using a amp clamp to check draw, but i dont have one.
I dont know if there is a certian sequence that i need to follow as far as
running the engine, then shut it off, then get out and lock doors, etc. i
have the drivers door open at the moment with the door switch disconnected to
duplicate the door being shut. (in order to shut off the radio i connect the
switch then disconnect to duplicate the door opening then closing). with the
door open i can access the fuse panel which they put on the side of the dash
where the door covers it, for some stupid reason
Message posted via CarKB.com
Just for a test try turning the key ON. Then turn on the radio and then
turn the key off. The radio should play for about 20 minutes and turn
off. that is the reserve accessory power. It is set up to allow the
windows/seat and other power accessories to work with the key of. Maybe
it is staying on causing the excess draw?
15 mA is about right. my 96 s10 has a 250mA drain on the keepalive memory
line of the radio. It will drain a battery down in 3 days. Until the weather
gets warmer so I can work on it, I made a patch with a relay to disconnect
that line when the ignition turns off (all done thru the fuse block).
If I measure with line disconnected I get about 12mA. My 99 blazer also gets
In a 96 the cigarette lighter plugs are not disconected when the ignition is
turned off. SO I also made a relay turn those off too when ignition is off.
Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.