92 SL2 - Static Battery Draw

Does anyone know what the static battery draw is on a 92 SL2? I am charging the battery now and will be checking the static draw as soon as it is charged up to see if there is a parasitic draw from the battery.

Scott

Reply to
Scott

If using a standard amp meter (no OEM parasitic load test tool) Make sure all accessories and ignition are off. Key not in ignition. Disconnect negative battery lead. Connect amp meter in series between battery negative, and battery negative cable. Read parasitic current drain. Normal total load should be 6-10 milliamps. From PCM 2.2-2.5 mA Gen 1.0-2.0 Radio (OEM) 2.8-4.3 ABS 0.1-0.3 Passive Restraint 0.1-0.2 Chime and Dome lamp Module 0.7-0.9 Headlamp Door Module (Coupe) 0.4-0.5 Delayed Door Unlock (1994 only) 0.3-0.5

Typical undesired loads causing too high drain to look for.... Key in ignition switch Park Lamp On Headlamps on Dome Lamp On Map light(s) on Cargo Lamp On Radio On Cigarette lighter

Saturn manual indicates that normal parasitic loads will drain battery in

4-6 weeks. If car is to sit without running for an extended time period, disconnecting the battery is recommended.
Reply to
Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the quick and comprehensive response.

I usually drive around 1000 miles per week, but have been out on disability for the last four months. Car has been used occasionally over that time - never sat for 4 to 6 weeks at one time. But if the battery was on the way out anyway (around three years old), that may just have been enough to do it.

Scott

Reply to
Scott

Measured 27 ma static - car has a dealer installed aftermarket alarm system (Clifford).

The battery will not hold a charge.

Reply to
Scott

How old is the battery. 5 years is a good life, but many will go after 3 years - especially if it has been accidentally allowed to drain flat a couple of times (previous boosts required).

Reply to
Mike

Mike,

The battery is three years and three months old, and has never been boosted before. I did have the alternator fail last summer, drove a couple of miles on the battery, but it didn't need boosting at that time. I have usually changed batteries at around three years - this one was a Delco Professional.

After charging for about eighteen hours, the battery was at around 11 volts; twelve hours later is was less than 10 volts; lightly loaded for two minutes then unloaded it was then down to 8 volts.

I further checked the static draw - with the alarm system unarmed the draw was 16 ma; armed it was 26 ma.

I'll check the alternator output after I replace the battery, but my guess is that is the battery.

Also going to change the negative battery cable - it's starting to look ratty at the block. The cable is, after all, over twelve years old. And please, no flaming, it has also seen 528, 000 miles.

Thanks again for the advice.

Scott

Reply to
Scott