I recently install a new alternater in my 1988 s10 4.3L 4x4 auto. I couldn't
get to fix the truck for about 6 months. In that time the truck just sat. I
charged the battery and trying to start the truck. I'm getting power but the
truck won't turn over. The starter didn't even click. Thinking that the
starter was bad I removed it and tested it using jumpers from the battery.
It seems to work fine.
Not being very good with ignition systems what could I check next? I did
cycle the gear lever through the detents and I tried it again, no joy. I
figure that a switch has gone bad but how do I isolate the problem? Thanks-
If it's a late 88;
Look under the battery tray, and see if there is a plastic box with the
positive battery cable running into it. The alternator wire going back to
the alternator, and another large wire (about 8 gauge) running to the power
distribution box on the left fender skirt.
If there is, there is a very good chance that the battery cable has oxidised
inside the rubber covering the crimp, on the connector.
To isolate that area, try removing the battery, using quality booster
cables. Jump to the engine for ground, and the bottom of the mega-fuse.
This is only if the vehicle is a late 88 and equipped as mentioned above.
Otherwise, check your battery cables under the plastic covers on the battery
You might have an acid caused corrosion problem in that area.
Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.