'85 Ranger no start, no turn over

Had a similar problem on a Toyota PU I used to own. Turned out it was a bad positive cable. I'd cleaned both ends of each cable and run through steps similar to yours with no solution. For giggles, I bought new cables and once I'd swapped out the positive cable, the problem went away. I went ahead and swapped out the negative cable anyways. Never had that problem again up until I traded it in.. Might be worth a look.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Hello all. Got a little problem with my '85 Ranger 2.8L, carb, auto trans. I *can not* get it to turn over and start. It used to start just great, then it sometimes it would turn over and start, sometimes wouldn't even turn over, then it would. Now it doesn't turn over at all. When I turn the key I hear what sounds like a loud click coming from the solenoid (not a series of clicks like you get with a weak battery). OK, replaced solenoid. Same thing, loud click but no turn over. Took starter off and tested. It's OK, but WTF, I replaced it, too (was orgirinal). Loud click, no turn over. Checked battery. It's fully charged. Do I need to replace ignition switch? Is it a relay somewhere that I'm missing? Park or neutral switch? I could really use some help, suggestions, etc because I'm stumped! Thanks!

Reply to
Louie

I don't immediately buy your battery check. Who and how? If someone just checked it with a VO meter that's not good enough. A bad battery can show 12.6V without a load and when you put a load on it it may go to 3V. And how good are the connections AND the wires? Do the headlights light up bright? Those positive cables are notorious for rotting out internally and you have enough age on it for that. You could carefully jump the positive cable with a jumper cable, but be extra careful. Everything you said so far points right back to the battery and or cable.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Al and the OTHER Kevin,

The headlights and interior lights are both bright. When I try to start they stay bright, don't dim at all. Forgot to mention that I tried to jump from battery to starter side of solenoid with key on and got a big fat spark, which indicates (to me, anywho ) that I have a short from there to starter, correct? The OTHER Kevin suggested the same thing you do, so will replace cable. Cable from battery to solenoid is only 6 months old and hangs in the air so that couldn't be the problem. Thanks guys, will get back to you on this.

Reply to
Louie

Louie, I think you should put an ignition switch in it if you are still baffled. Your symptoms didn't suggest that 100%, but it could be the cause. With the age of the vehicle that would be worth changing anyway.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Al, I've removed the old starter and tried testing straight from battery. Kinda strange.....I have jumper cables connected from battery to starter (negative to starter body, positive to cable connect point). The Bendix will not engage and throw the gear out. However, when I take the Bendix cover off, touch postive cable to connect point, I get a fat spark, Bendix doesn't engage. If I barely touch the Bendix while doing this, Bendix engages and starter spins. This even happens with the new starter. Do I need to disassemble starter and see what's going on? Bad interior contacts maybe? Before I do this, I have access to a known good, reliable battery that I will try. BTW, the battery in the Ranger is about 7 months old and I keep it charged with 2A charger. Will get back to you. Also, I plan to replace the ignition switch as soon as I can. Thanks and hang in there with me, please.

Reply to
Louie T Lizard