Strange acceleration problem.

Maybe yall can shed some light on this also.

'99 Silverado 4x4, 5.3l, 3.73.

Problem: when driving at any speed with the cruise set at say 55 on level ground it drives perfect. but lets say I start to go up a hill and it needs to downshift and accelerate to maintaine speed. Just befor it shifts and the rpms raise the motor starts acting like it wants to die. It goes to stippin and stuttering pretty bad UNTIL it finally shifts and the rpms come up. Very strange.

History: I've owned the truck for like 3-4 months and all I have done to it is total fluid and filter changes(all mobil 1 synthetic and wix filters) (minus radiator) I have changed one spark plug becuase all the rest looked to be in pretty good shape, only changed the one becuse when I was taking it out I cracked it. I know I need to do plugs, wires, cap rotor sometime but I was going to wait till spring when work picked up. I also JUST had the fuel pump replaced under warranty. Both myself and my mechanic friend thought that the fuel pump might be whats causing the problem I stated. But as of today it's still doing it. We have yet to check fuel pressure after the regulator and we don't know about injectors. I'm more suspecting it's electrical now.. any way I could put my finger on this a little better?

Thanks Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Fuel filter?

Reply to
Willy Wanka

Bad pickup coil. Sounds like the problem I had. See if you can get it to do it from a full stop with a sudden part throttle under 1500rpm.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

currently has a wix filter that only has like 7K miles on it.. I was thinking about changing it anyway just in case.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Ok I'll see if I can make it do it.. Haven't ever seen it do it under those conditions but will see.. Thanks! Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Too bad he doesn't HAVE a pickup coil! 99's are direct ignition dude.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Ok, Then there is a sensor on the crank or camshaft some where.

Sounds like a false trigger in either case.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

I disagree, sounds more like a transmission-related problem, where the AT isn't downshifting when it should. Could be a bad TPS not sending the right signal to the PCM, or could be something more difficult to find. Bad ignition or not, the PCM should be downshifting before the motor starts to shudder (like trying to accelerate in a manual tranmission vehicle from

25mph in 5th).

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Where is the TPS located and whats it look like? I'd like to at least check the connection and wiring there.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

I'm also gonna guess this has something to do with my hard shifting problem with in tow/haul mode.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Two/haul will shift harder anyways, it's supposed to.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

TPS is located on the throttle body. It will be linked to the throttle plates.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I could be way wrong on this.. I've been wanting gary to chim in on this.. but when I say it shifts hard.. I mean hard.. it jerks the whole truck.. i dunno maybe it's sposed to.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter