2002 Jetta GLX VR6 Transmission Problem

My Jetta GLX VR6 Automatic has been hard shifting from 2nd to 3rd at slow speed, approx. 25mph. This only happens when I go from a stop to driving. As the Jetta begins it shifts from 1st to 2nd fine, then from

2nd to 3rd it revs up the RPMs and hard shifts, and then no problem shifting into drive. This only happens at slower speeds. Once I?m going, no problem, even if I accelerate hard. Does this mean I need a Tranny, or could there be another easier fix? Please help, I am desperate to find an easy solution. Thanks 8O
Reply to
stueckes

Is it still under warranty? (Original owner would have 100K miles AFAIK) Have the codes read to see what faults are occuring.. A vag-com tool might be needed for this. ;-)

Might be an internal problem with the Valve Body, a Vehicle Speed Sensor (which also might be located internally on yours), or a wiring issue. Did you ever have any water entering the interior of your car?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I'm always looking at the simple things:

Have you had a trans. flush lately? Is the weather getting colder where you live? Have you considered synthetic, high-grade trans. fluid?

Reply to
Ears

Well, thank you for your response. What is AFAIK? Does this mean there is a 100k powertrain warranty? I hope this is a small problem and I don?t have to replace the trans, but it feels like it?s slipping when this rev-up and hard shift occurs. Anyway, you?ve been a great source of info. Thanks.

"dave AKA vwdoc1" wrote: > Is it still under warranty? (Original owner would have 100K

Reply to
stueckes

I havn?t had the tranny flushed, and I live in Calif. It has gotten colder, but not below 50 degrees. I want to flush the tranny, but want to find out what the problem is first. I do quite a bit of work on vehicles, so do you think it is wise to attempt this myself? Everything I hear is "take it to the dealer".

"Ears" wrote: > I'm always looking at the simple things:

Reply to
stueckes

With transmissions, especially electronic-shifter automatics, "take it to an expert" is the only way to fly. The ways you can screw it up are many and varied. Nor is it likely that you have the equipment required to do a proper flush. The fluid you leave behind will be that fluid that inevitably contains the most garbage.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

The JF506E 5-speed transmission is made by the Japanese company JATCO.

Sounds like the clutch (and/or brake band, if any) responsible for 2-3 shifts are slipping if the RPMs go way up. Otherwise the accumulator may not be doing its job, but doesn't sound like it's the case. That's why I'd do more frequent ATF changes and filter/strainer changes as well (< 20K miles) starting when new.

I'd drop the pan, clean it, inspect the wear particles (amount, types), replace the filter/strainer. And then refill with HIGH MILEAGE ATF. The HM ATF is thicker and has more friction modifiers and seal conditioners. If this doesn't improve it then you already know what's next.

Reply to
johngdole

The Castrol High Mileage ATF appears to meet the VW G052 990 standard. However, the 09A was also in the Valvoline MaxLife Merc/Dex ATF "application guide", but not on their website.

So I'd go with castrol High Mileage after verifying VW G052 990 is for the 09A/Jatco JF506E..

Valvoline:
VW TL52162 (Note: this is yellow) MaxLife ATF (Note: this is red)

Reply to
johngdole

Yes AFAIK (As Far As I Know) You will have a 100,000 mile warranty on that transmission if you are the original owner.

Is the mileage under 100K? Are you the original owner?

Good luck with this!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Isn't the standard powertrain warranty 6 years / 50K miles?

Reply to
johngdole

From the VW website:

Here's how our warranty compares with some others out there.* Manufacturer Basic Powertrain Volkswagen 3 year / 36,000 mi. 5 year / 60,000 mi. Mazda 3 year / 36,000 mi. 5 year / 60,000 mi. Nissan 3 year / 36,000 mi. 5 year / 60,000 mi. Toyota 3 year / 36,000 mi. 5 year / 60,000 mi. Honda 3 year / 36,000 mi. 5 year / 60,000 mi. Ford 3 year / 36,000 mi. 5 year / 60,000 mi. BMW 4 year / 50,000 mi. 4 year / 50,000 mi. Mercedez-Benz 4 year / 50,000 mi. 4 year / 50,000 mi. Volvo 4 year / 50,000 mi. 4 year / 50,000 mi.

Reply to
johngdole

I believe that the 2002 VW models were the last VWs with the 10 year/100K powertrain warranty. Then VW cut it down considerably. :-(

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Did you ever fix your Jetta trans problem i have the same car and I am having the same issue.

Reply to
abopda6484

So far I've read other people's experience with this and so far it's been m ostly the need to reprogram your transmission computer. Change the solenoid s, check for burnt clutches. If the clutches are burnt you might as well r ebuild the transmission or buy a new one. I would suggest a swap to a manua l if you can drive manual. But the cost is probably not worth it to ya!!!

Reply to
sankocho2k

mostly the need to reprogram your transmission computer. Change the soleno ids, check for burnt clutches. If the clutches are burnt you might as well rebuild the transmission or buy a new one. I would suggest a swap to a man ual if you can drive manual. But the cost is probably not worth it to ya!!!

what type of transmission would best fit the glx jetta? i know its a O9a bu t are the same specifications required for the manual transmisison?

Reply to
bmkamdoum11