strange shift on 98 k1500 burb

Last couple days I noticed the truck (98 k1500 auto with 85000 miles) will shift too quickly (soon) going 1st to 2nd. Addtionally the shift will occasionally have a shudder to it. This only happens on light throttle (especially when going around a corner). Hard acceleration up to full throttle produces excellent quality shifts with no hesitation or slippage. Engine runs very well no missing etc. No DTC's stored either. Fluid was flushed in January (6000 miles ago) and at this time still looks as fresh as new. No other symptoms and even this is rather intermittent. Seems to be more prevalent when running low slow in hot weather (85 & humid today) but does not seem too dependant on whether a/c is running or not. Any clues? Thanks Larry

Reply to
jdoe

Any clue what transmission u have......this would help.

700r4 maybe

-- Mad Dog

Reply to
Mad Dog

Reply to
jdoe
98 4L60E:

Doc is daman!

Plus it will most likely be the valve body, and a broken outer sun gear to follow.

Doc will correct me if I'm wrong, where's trans Surgeon when you need him?

Maybe Mad Dog is our new resident tranny guru?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Reply to
jdoe

From the trans shops I talk to:

The 700r4 and the L460E always need a outer planetary sun gear, and if it's not broken, they put in an updated unit. So they don't have to do a redo. Plus the valve body is the most important thing on the shift problem.

This is what I hear, I haven't rebuilt one personally yet, the latest tranny I rebuilt was a 440 front Wheel Drive electronic overdrive, and that was close to ten years ago.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

message

Reply to
jdoe

. .

==== ==== strange shift on 98 k1500 burb Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Thu, Jul 1, 2004, 10:47pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@msn.com (jdoe) Last couple days I noticed the truck (98 k1500 auto with 85000 miles) will shift too quickly (soon) going 1st to 2nd. Addtionally the shift will occasionally have a shudder to it. This only happens on light throttle (especially when going around a corner). Hard acceleration up to full throttle produces excellent quality shifts with no hesitation or slippage. Engine runs very well no missing etc. No DTC's stored either. Fluid was flushed in January (6000 miles ago) and at this time still looks as fresh as new. No other symptoms and even this is rather intermittent. Seems to be more prevalent when running low slow in hot weather (85 & humid today) but does not seem too dependant on whether a/c is running or not.

Any clues?

Thanks Larry ======== ======== hey...Larry, a couple of clues for you.

bad news..... the trannies on the way out. good news.... could take a year or more.

------- bad news.... i doubt it though.

good news..... sometimes i'm wrong

------- bad news..... i see about 4 units a month needing rebuilds that have been flushed within the last 6 months

good news.... not all units that are flushed need a rebuild

------- bad news.... that's an expensive unit to rebuild.

good news...... they're all dropping like flies, so the builder dude is gonna have a lot of experience rebuilding them, so you can perty much count on the fact that he knows what he's doing

------ bad news..... ok...ok ....no more bad news, i'll stop now.

hey.......you wanna TRY to make it last jest a bit longer? I mean...it's gonna break, but we may be able to put it off for a while longer. Say till jest after Christmas? Would that help a little?

oh never mind........

that's gonna run you bout $500 .... and if the units gonna fail anyway... why not jest wait till it takes a puke and fix it rite........rite?????

oh yeah.....she's gonna fail.

nope....no doubt in my feable little mind.

yep.....that's rite. you shouldnt've let that slick talk'n dude con you into that flush.

don't cry......

it's not that bad.....

it's not all yer fault.....

i mean......

the convertor was gonna go in the next 20,000 miles anyway.....so what the heck....maybe the guy did you a favor by charging you to make it all happen sooner. After all.....you're one of the lucky ones to make it over 80,000 miles without needing it rebuilt yet. And, chances were really, really good that you were'nt going to make it much over 100,000 for sure.

how do i know...????

what......??? you don't beleive me...????

you think....maybe i'm make'n all this up???

you think'n ...maybe this guys got a screw loose????

you think'n maybe GG is gonna come runn'n back in here and tell'n you all's gonna be fine?????

hehehehehe..... now ain't you the silly one!

MarshMonster ~:~

~always remember......and never forget..... if'n it weren't broke before you improved it.... you proved you broke it improving it~

~~ oo L O ======== ========

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Reply to
jdoe

. . . TRANS 101 : Lesson Plan 203 B: Chapter 4:

~~~~~ Customer Trust ~~~~~~~

In this lesson we will be teaching you how to build a "trust based" relationship with your customers, and attempting to help you realize the importance that TRUST plays in finalizing the sale on a major rebuild. We will begin by showing you the national statistics on sales volumes and their relationship to customer satisfaction.

blah..blah...blah...blah..blah..... ======== ========

snipped-for-privacy@msn.com (jdoe) poked ole Marsh in the chest and gave him a stern going over with............

1) You obviously have some kind of axe to grind.

2) I understand the foibles of this and many other transmissions.

3) Lucky for me I got good advice from a knowledgable shop owner.

4) Better still the problem is gone thanks to a $39.00 throttle position sensor.

5) Sorry to burst your negative bubble though ;-) but it works just fine now

:-D

Larry =========== =========== Marsh decides to remove the offending finger from his chest....and twists ole larry's finger in a knot with.......

1) nope, my axe is perty dang sharp already.

2) what's a foible? and which trannies have them.....cuz me being a fairly knowledgable tranny tech....i wood like be up on my game as much as possible.

3) how many shop owners did you talk to? and how did you decide which one was knowledgeable and which one wasn't ?

4) No it's not.

It's been masked.

And worst yet....you've been led to believe that you don't have a problem.

And worst yet still.....you weren't told to prepare for the inevitable cost of repairing it.

And worst even yet still.....you've been setup for a $1400-$1800 sell.

And worstest of all even yet still.......... you thunk i'm jest mess'n with you.

5) What? Didn't you here me say that it would probl'y last another year or two? (though i still doubt it, and the symptom is gonna be back within the next 2 months or so)

And...... after over 25 years of automotive repair..... you shoe ain't gonna burst any bubbles that i might have left.

.......... now, do yerself a favor, start saving yer money fer dat rebuild.

That way it won't hurt as much when you go back in to that "knowledgeable" shop owner and tell him that yer 1-2 shift is a littler high and soft than it wuz before you changed that TPS he reccomended about 2 MONTHS ago.

by the way........

did this knowledgeable shop owner..... drop the pan?

~:~ MarshMonster ~takes a sip the shroom juice he jest got off the stove.........and thunks........... "i've heard tell of dem that don't know.... but that poor feller don't even suspect"~ =========== ===========

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Reply to
jdoe

. . . ======= ======= after having his nubbin twisted in knot by ole marsh.... snipped-for-privacy@msn.com (jdoe) bowed up a bellowed out in open forum.....

1) He did NOT recommend the tps I found the problem myself.

2) It was part of the troublesooting section in the factory manual and when I checked it with a VOM it did in fact have a nasty little dead spot in it. So I really doubt it's masking anything.

3) Besides unless a trans really grenades itself or smokes it's clutches it's pretty unusual to find much of anything in the pan.

4) That being said the full build (if I want) would be $1300. Not really bad IMHO.

5) So depending on how much I decide I like or want to keep this truck I may just have it done anyway, but I'm really not worried about it.

6) Been wrenching an awful long time myself just not experienced on THIS particular trans.

jdoe =========== ===========

1) the problem with yer tranny ain't the tps

2) that digital vom found a deadspot in the tps... did it find the prob with the tranny?

3) not true..... you really shouldn't be stating things that are untrue in this NG, some poor ole little feller that don't know no better is liable to thunk that it's true....and take yer KNOWLEDGABLE advice. This could prove to be more costly fer a little feller in the long run.

4) A top shop can't afford to do one of these units that cheap.....and stay open. But...maybe you're knowledgable guy knows something that the rest of us tranny dudes don't.

5) Why ain't you worried about it? jest curious. You should be worried about it. I mean......you wouldn't sell that truck with a failing tranny to some poor unsuspecting feller .....

would you?

6) Everything you have stated in thread backs that up.

~:~ respectfully submitted as a debate of knowledge ~:~

MarshMonster ~looks forward to yer cry for help..... WHEN it finally fubars on you~ (I'll still give it 6-8 months max)

ps.

we could still invest that $500 to put it off a while longer.......

Reply to
Marsh Monster