No gear in D with OD on

1991 Ford f150 with E4OD 133K miles

When started of course the OD is on. If I shift into D then I've got nothing. Turn the OD off and it shifts fine. Going down the road in third, and turn the OD on and I'm in neutral.

Any ideas why the trans has no third with OD on?

Dirk

Reply to
Coyote

yes

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

The E4OD relys on sensor input to know what to do. There is probably a 'trouble code' set by your transmission computer. Suggest you go to a transmission shop and check your trouble codes. The problem could be the PRNDL switch.

Reply to
Mellowed

Obviously not.

Reply to
Coyote

I have a $2500 Snap on scanner. Both key on tests, and running tests (run by the scanner) show no codes in the three categories (key on engine off, key on engine running, and stored memory)

So does the trans have a separate computer tap in ?

Thanks

Dirk

Reply to
Coyote

do you want the explanation ?

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

I believe so. My Bronco at your same mileage had shifting problems. The transmission shop connected to a computer input in the engine compartment on the upper drivers side. He went through a routine dictated by the test computer that identified the PRNDL switch and Throttle position sensor as problems. When they got into the transmission they also found that the Solenoid pack was leaking. All 3 were replaced and the transmission was like new. The transmission has its own computer as far as I know.

: > The E4OD relys on sensor input to know what to do. There is probably a : > 'trouble code' set by your transmission computer. Suggest you go to a : > transmission shop and check your trouble codes. The problem could be the : > PRNDL switch. : >

: >

: >

: :

Reply to
Mellowed

obviously, you have not studied the power flow in the E4

with 'OD off', the 'coast clutch' comes on

this then does the job of the 'input sprag', which has become defective

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Thank you Gary for the explanation.

Do you know if this problem would generate any error codes?

As I mentioned in another note, the scanner shows no error codes.

Dirk

Reply to
Coyote

nope

no error codes

input sprag has gone to that parts dept in the sky, in 3-2-1 with OD cancelled, the coast clutch is carrying the load

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Thanks again. I've begun research on replacement upgrades and came across a beefier sprag which I'll use. It's my understanding from the research that there were several mods/improvements from the 91 to around 95. Any suggestions on other replacements out of the norm?

In any event I've got a direction to go. Thanks again.

Dirk

Reply to
Coyote

Why spend extra money on a beefier one? The one you had in there before lasted you 12 years, 133k miles, is the vehicle actually gonna live another

12 years, or 133k miles?

Reply to
Mistercmk

if your unit has the aluminum carrier on the OD planet set, upgrade to the steel unit, Ford makes a kit consisting of planet + input shaft

replace the C6-type low-roller with the plastic-cased one, be careful, cause it WILL go in either way (have the t-shirt, the bite marks on mt ass, and the 'STUPID' stamp on my forehead to prove it)

replace the intermediate and OD sprags

use the hardened-steel-core forward frictions

Superior E4 Valve body kit, make sure to do the 'Code 62' modification on the pump (comes with the kit)

use a new solenoid pack

if a 2WD, order a 4WD pan and filter, carries about 2 quarts extra

you can overfill it a couple quarts with no problem

big external cooler, bypass the radiator cooler

Precison of New Hampton, in New Hampton, IA makes the best converters for this unit

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

The more beef is only $45

Dirk

Reply to
Coyote

Thank you VERY much for that Gary.

Best regards.

Dirk.....wearing my "I'm automatic. Old and shiftless" t-shirt

Reply to
Coyote