Suburban Rack Attachment Points Rusting: Options?

The body metal is rusting through around two of the roof rack attachment points on the driver's side.

I'm thinking that taking it to a body shop and having the rusted areas cut out and fixed properly is going tb very expensive.

'98 Suburban, cosmetics are unimportant.

All I care about is the ability to mount two cross bars between

36 and 42 inches apart.

Off the top of my head, unencumbered by any knowledge/experience:

- Remove the factory racks/rails

- Apply something to the rusting areas to stop the rusting.

- Apply something to the now-empty rack mount receptacles so they don't become rust magnets.

- Install some sort of after-market bolt-though plates that attach in a different area from the rusted area and accept Yakima crossbar mounts.

- Possible complications when removing the existing racks in the form of bolts other than the problem area being frozen in not-yet-visible rust.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per (PeteCresswell):

Just for the record, I took the vehicle to two body shops.

First, the local Chevy dealer - who wasn't very enthusiastic. They sent me to a Midas shop, saying that Midas had equipment better suited so such a job.

The guy at Midas seemed pretty straight: he called it a "can of worms". Dropping the headliner, unknown extent of rusting, and so-forth.

This re-calibrated me and I'm now looking for a replacement vehicle.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)