'98 'Burb 180k: What Lies Ahead

Been flipping back-and-forth like a ball between two bumpers in a pinball machine: keep this thing and try for 250k or move on.

Having finally gotten all the bugs out, the thought of trashing it bothers me - not to mention that every mile I get out of it from now on is essentially free... until the next thing fails.

OTOH, there's the uncertainty factor...

Here's where it is now, maintenance-wise:

68k: New pads Turned rotors 76k: bored & sleeved xmission's valve body 89k: Replaced wiper board 97k: Replaced serpentine belt, New plugs, Serviced trans

126k Replaced front differential pinion seal

130k: Replaced alternator (prev replacement @98k) Replaced serpentine belt & idler pulley New front pads New front rotors Replaced rear brake cylinders

143k: New tires Replaced radiator, Replaced water pump (prev replacement @77k) Replaced input manifold gasket

147k: Replaced windshield Replaced horns

152k: Replaced moving parts in front end New shocks

163k: Replaced 4wd switch (second replacement) Replaced starter

181k: Replaced fuel pump (prev replacement @97k) Replaced battery

Oil changes have been pretty regularly

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Looks like my list, except the starter, 4wd switch, trans bored valve body and fuel pump. I'll add the transfer case shaft, synchro and gear, new front rotors , front cat/Y pipe, 1 upper ball joint, Idler arm and Pitman arm, and Tie rod ends/sleeves. And 3 1/2 sets of tires. Oh and the blasted wiper transmission copper clip.

I have 209K so far. It's got mechanical linkages to the accelerator and for the steering so I'm keeping it.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Per Bill:

That's close to my view: a new car piece-by-piece.

Being a lifelong fiscal conservative bordering on reactionary, I don't think in terms of monthly payments: if it costs more than I can pay up front, it's out of my league and I need to find something cheaper.

Sounds to me like the probability of getting stranded in the next

20k miles or so isn't any higher than most vehicles - assuming any transmission failure will give enough warning to get home.

Historically, this thing has stranded me more times than all my beaters put together - but by now I figure it sb pretty much debugged.

Maybe it's time to drag it into a body shop and get an estimate on the rust fixes.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)