Sulfur Smell coming from exhaust.

87 Chevy 350 EFI. Been noticing a strong sulur smell coming from the exhaust. Any ideas what could be causing this?
Reply to
DanD

Bad o2 sensor circuit?

Reply to
High Sierra

Uhhhhhhhh, no. Bad guess though.............

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

It's likely one of two things:

1) Bad gas with high sulphur content

2) Catalytic convertor is about to give up the ghost

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

3) running very rich
Reply to
TranSurgeon

You experienced sulphur smell from a really rich mixture before? I've only noticed the tell-tale gassy smell..............does the type of fuel play into it?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

It comes from lead in the gas reaching the catalyst in the converter producing a rotten egg smell. It ISNT from the cat going out, it isn't from to much(or to little) gas, its from lead! I KNOW they don't sell leaded gas anymore! But allot of companies still have a minimal lead content in their gas. Running hard definatly doesn't help because it increases the amount of lead on the catalyst before it can be burnt away. That is the main reason the Euro-Trash sport compact junk driven by theses wet-behind-the-ear-daddy-leaches crank by and leave rotten egg smell behind...That is SO cool...

The factory converter in '87 far beyond SUCKED! If you must have one due to legalities, replace it with a monolithic design(straight-through) converter. You should still be legal and the poor choked-nearly-to-death truck will breath MUCH better and be very thankful.

Reply to
Shades

The smell is from the cat that is no longer up to the job. On an 87, this may be because it is just worn out. On newer vehicles, it is often because of an over-rich condition that the cat just can't keep up with. H

Reply to
Hairy

I had this smell (I assume by sulfur he meant rotten egg smell) and it turned out to be bad O2 sensor.

Reply to
High Sierra

I have a 2002 S-10 flexible fuel. I use E85 but I still get the sulfur smell. Turns out it was coming from the passenger side that usually carries a Budweiser aficionado.

Reply to
Rose Melinis