2003 Focus - oil smell coming from vents

2.0 Zetec, auto, 100,000km

when I set the temp dial to HOT I get an strong oil smell no smell if COLD air is used.

this is weird. Has engine oil entered the heater core area?

Reply to
JJ-J

Similar here I used some stinky windshield winter (up to -30 C) detergent (Liquid fire). (it stinks like some kind of alchochol) It seems that it entered in heat core tubes area because my focus leaked water in front of passeneger footwell

Now it stinks every time I turn on ventilation no metter on cold or hot.

How to remove that 'alchochol' smell?

Reply to
Dreamer

I had this problem too. Apparently it was a blocked pollen filter. This usually causes water to leak into the footwell and will be contributing to the smell as the screenwash cannot escape out of the ventilation system until it is drained. You could try seeing if your pollen filter is blocked. I don't know where it is off hand, but if you have a Haynes manual or something then I'm sure it will tell you.

Reply to
NickG

I had this on my 1.8 Focus- although you could hardly see it, it was a slightly weep from the rocker cover gasket running down onto the exhaust manifold.

I only smelt it when the car was stationary, and the exhaust heat shield covers the oil leak, so you cant see it til you actually remove the rocker cover.

Check that.

Tim. .

Reply to
Tim..

I too get the oil smell when stationary but only if the temp control is HOT. If i set it to COLD the smell is gone.

Reply to
JJ-J