T-15 Jimmy (again) cutting out on freeway

I tried to take it to work this morning and toss my spare module at it before heading home but a quick CES flash after backing out of the driveway scared me back into my minivan. This evening thouygh, I tossed in my spare ignition module and MAP sensor (just for the hell of it) and so far so good, no sputtering or stalling. It took three weeks to act up last time though...

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the spare module for my Firebird (5.0L TPI) had the same three-digit number as the one in my 4.3L and will actually work in the big V6. At least I know this one is good.

Reply to
SBlackfoot

It's the magnectic pick up in the distributor. It's probably acting up at a cirtaint tempiture and atmospheric range. Replace the entire distributor. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Is there any way to bench test the pick-up? A new distributor would cost more than the truck is worth, and I'd hate to wind up with a bum junkyard part.

Reply to
SBlackfoot

A good 100% accurate test of the magnets? not really. What happens is after time the magnets start to weaken (like hall effect crank trigger magnets). When warm, and at times under cirtain atomphearic condishions they get ittermitantly so weak they won't send a signal.

You can replace the magnets in the distributor housing, but you have to replace the shaft to change the magnets on it.

Ill check one of my suppliers to see what the are running. My S-Blazer could use one. Charles Ill run a S-truck till there aint a thing left, then patch it back together again.

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Son of a bitch, it's not the module or MAP sensor either. It quit three or four times while coming down Parkdale ave. this evening, and again on a sidestreet. The worst trip I've had by far. The CES light flashed intermittently between stalls. I haven't checked again for codes but I'd be surprised if there were any given the recent history. It stuttered/missed before dying, cranked over fine, and restarted without too much trouble each time (a little gas and a half-doxen cranks or so).

Next will be a trip to the junkyard in the minivan looking for a decent (and cheap) distributor. Any more trouble and the next trip after that will be to the junkyard in the damn truck and one of us might not be coming back.

Reply to
SBlackfoot