Technique For Lubing Door Hinges?

I find the creaking comes more from the little spring wheel that makes it hold at the 1.2 open and hull open point.

Reply to
Eugene

'98 Burb.

Everything's right there, and I can smear grease on it...but can't get the creaking to go away. Seems like there SB some technique to get the grease to penetrate to where it's actually needed.

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

Oil?

Reply to
Sounds Like A Porsche

Is there any play in your bushings Pete? Once the bushings start to go, it's very hard to keep it from squeeking. They don't have to go far for it to happen in my experience.

Big Chris

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

Reply to
Big Chris

RE/

I dripped a little bicycle chain lube in there and overnight the creak has subsided to a sort of dull click.

About 110k, *lots* of entries/exits on the driver's side...so I'm guessing it's just worn...and looking at it, I'm also guessing I don't want to go there replacement-wise.

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

Pete:

A good way to test the bushings for wear is to: Open the door part way, grab the rear of the door and lift up on it. If there is a noticeable amount of play. The bushings are gone, and it is something you can do yourself.

You'll have to buy a tool or two, but you'll use them forever most likely. So they would be money well spent, considering a shop gets $65.00 to $120.00 to do each door. If you have play, and need advaice.

Please don't hesitate to get in touch with me.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish_King1

Reply to
Roger Johnson

That was more than fair!

He was a really nice guy!

Send him cookies for Christmass. I never go higher than $60.00 my self. But, the local competition quotes as high as $120.00 plus tax, and I never pay more than $15.00 for parts and welding materials if the holes get egg shaped.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish_King1

Actually the replacement of the bushing is fairly easy with the right tools. I made a bushing press out of a small C clamp to install the bushings. I use a engine hoist with a couple of ratchet cargo straps to hold up the door. It takes me a couple of hours to do.

Reply to
C5_Mechanic

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

American Grease Stick made a product called Dripless Oil. It goes on like water, and then evaporates to a thick lube that stays put. Was the best lube for the old VW exposed door hinges. It came in spray cans and regular cans like 3-in-One Oil. Have not seen it around in Tucson, but it was available in St. Louis.

Al

Reply to
Big Al