Transmission Question

First of all, can someone tell me what automatic tranny should be in a 1988 K1500 Scotsdale? It has a 305, I assume it is a 700R4 .... is this assumption correct?

Secondly, this tranny more slides from gear to gear than shifts. It is most apparent from 2nd to 3rd gear, it almost acts as if its goe into neutral for a second then makes the shift. During that second you can here the motor start to rev up, then once it shifts the RPM's drop.

I am used to my T350 that I had in a Nova that would bark the tires when it shifted, this seems really slushy.

Is this normal? Is so...... Damn, that sucks.

If not does anyone have any ideas how to fix it.

Thanks,

Reply to
Spectre

Rebuild time!

Sounds like an internal pressure leak: i.e. clutch drum lift seals hardened, clutches worn to the point of slipping soon, weal pump.

I'm not a transmission expert, but I do enough of them to see the carnage.

I hope this helps?

Reply to
Refinish King

Thanks for the info, not exactly what I wanted to hear..... but thanks.

Got any idea of what I'm looking at for possible rebuild cost?

Reply to
Spectre

Plan for at least $1,500.00:

Maybe as high as $1,800.00, because if they do your transmission, if it needs hard parts: i.e. pump.

You'll have budgeted enough.

Get estimates from local transmission shops, and ask around for references. there's a guy in my area that should use meat cleavers instead of wrenches.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King