update -the noise is gone

had previous posts about a loud grinding noise in front (91 Blazer S10 4wd) I finally replaced the suspect front bearing-hub assembly. Was only 135. dollars at Autozone. And it is a Timken, made in USA. Examining the old one showed the seal had apparently gone bad and grease came out (probably water got in) -that and just plain wear. Ideally the knuckle seal should be replaced also but I did not this time. Autozone might not even know what a knuckle seal is, or it might have a newer name. To put a knuckle seal in either the cv joint axle assembly has to come out, OR, you have to remove the knuckle. The hub was easy to remove, once the main axle nut is off, there are only three bolts holding it in. Then of course thoroughly clean up the seat before putting in the new one, and put some new grease on for the knuckle seal, and just a little grease on the spline to make next removal easier. There seems to be controversy about torque for the axle nut--I say it is not critical. But you have to give it at least 100 ft. to be sure it is completely SEATED. The torque does not touch the bearing itself as it spins outside the zone of the splined center portion you are torquing down. Now with that major noise gone I can listen for the other noises this thing has. Aside from that its a real relief--sounds like a different vehicle.

Reply to
<byron2323