93 Integra front end hub-knuckle/spindle alignment question **Tegger??**

I have an old project 93 Integra I'm working on and I have some minor front end work to do before it's on the road again. I have a question about the registration or alignment of the hub-axle splines...

In order to ensure that the hub and axle splines mate up perfectly, is there a registration mark or preferred method? Do I need to drag a marking knife from one part to the next to ensure perfect assembly? I damaged the splines on an old hub years ago and I was wondering if maybe there's a better way? Do I need graphite, heat or assy lube??

To make sure I'm being clear:

1) hub is separated from knuckle (I have a press so no issues there) 2) pass side half shaft axle is being replaced 3) Is there a sure-fire method of ensuring that the mating splines between the hub and axle mesh and don't get damaged? I assume I will need a slide hammer or mallet to get them in flush with each other once they're aligned and sliding..?

Thanks in advance. Andrew.

Reply to
AWN

Make sure the splines are clean and the axle should slide right into the hub. If you live in the rust belt a little grease or anti sieze will help if you ever need to take it apart again.

I assume I will need a slide

Nope, not needed. If the splines are fairly clean you should be able to slide the axle into the hub by hand.

Reply to
Mike

There isn't an alignment issue, and you won't need to hammer it together. You may need to tap the axle gently (remember, bearings hold everything) with a mallet to get it into the hub enough, but once the nut can be started that's your ticket. The critical aspect is proper torque on the axle nut. If the torque is low the splines will start working against each other and will quickly wallow out. If that happens - evidenced by clicking or groaning when it rolls slowly - both splined pieces will have to be replaced. Overtorquing probably doesn't have bad effects until the next time you have to get the nut off ;-)

As the other Mike says, a light coat of grease on the splines will help.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks guys. I think perhaps I damaged to hub splines and that's why it won't mate properly. I'll try again and if not, I'll put on a new hub or hub and half shaft as need be. I was just concerned with registration but apparently it shouldn't be an issue. I have some high temp bearing/chasis grease - I assume this would be ok??

Thanks! Andrew.

in article YtGdncJMrN1gp33YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net, Michael Pardee at snipped-for-privacy@cybertrails.com wrote on 2/24/07 8:17 AM:

Reply to
AWN