Pinging IAN or GM Tech Wheel Bearing Removal

Is there a common reason for the failures on the ABS wheel sensors on the 2000 Impalas and similar vehicles ?

Crud buildup ? Metal Fragments ? Wiring breaks ? Rust growth ?

I got down that far yesterday, and it seems that I might need a wheel puller to get the bearing assy off the half-shafts ?

what is the proper procedure for removal ?

jr

Reply to
news.twmi.com

BINGO, we have a winner. My 1995 Monte Carlo had a "sensor" go bad. Turned out the connector on the ABS to body harness corroded out. Two pieces of wire 6" long and two connectors, $124CDN from GM, ya right. Took a trip to the junk yard to get one, looked at every single w-body (monte, lumina, grandprix, regal, etc.) from 1990 to 1999 in hopes of finding one. Nadda, all gone. ABS sensors still on most of the cars, just this little piece of wire gone. Just happened to find one becuase the geniuses at the junk yard put a 1996 Monte Carlo in with the GM trucks, so it hadn't been picked apart.

One the other hand, my buddy has a 2000 Montana and the sensor was the thing that went. But this is all easy to test with a simple Ohm meter.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Poor quality is more like it. And they did have some issues with the retaining nut that holds the shaft into the bearing on some models.

Remove the bolts that hold the wheel bearing in place, remove the large nut that secures the axle shaft into the wheel bearing assembly, tap on the end op the shaft and push the axle shaft back thru the wheel bearing assembly, and tap the wheel bearing hub flange to get the assembly out of the knuckle. If you find that the shaft does not easily move back thru the wheel bearing assembly, I would suggest that you get/rent a proper puller for removing the hub from the shaft.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Steve,

You might try a few loose pins from Digi-Key. Most of that stuff is in the MOLEX line as well as decent connectors you can replace both ends with. That , lotsa RTV and some flexible test prod wire will fix it forever

I'm currently running 2 injectors on MOLEX .025 pins reworked into the factory harness, with a flexible pigtail thanks to some heavy-handed goodwrench. Warranty service on this early model was Murder on the parts.

I'll pop the connectors and see if I can diagnose the wheels this week.

I decided to use the old Chev Rotors for a vibrating chair, just bolt them in true and buzz away. (and calling them pitted would be being nice)

I'm betting on a weak magnetic field (or oxide particles) and expecting some type of hall sensor in the bearing, a-la a Pioneer turntable assy, at least ALPS.

Found ALPS switches inside the power window switch assy. I guess if they're good enough for a $50.00 VCR...

GM doesn't make KIT CARS ?

Thanks,

jack

Reply to