Upper /lower Ball joint 1997 Chevy Blazer 4x4

hello.

I am in need of replacing the upper and lower ball joints on both front wheels. I am wondering if this is a complicated thing to do, and if some special tools are required? The shop is asking approx

220.00 in labour + parts. I am a bit on the broke side, and I can learn and save some money while the bank is tight, why not. Any on line web site with general info on replacing the ball joints? any tips, will be highly appreciated.
Reply to
bob

. . Upper /lower Ball joint 1997 Chevy Blazer 4x4 Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, Oct 27, 2003, 10:37pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@HOTMAIL.COM (bob) hello. I am in need of replacing the upper and lower ball joints on both front wheels. I am wondering if this is a complicated thing to do, and if some special tools are required? The shop is asking approx 220.00 in labour + parts. I am a bit on the broke side, and I can learn and save some money while the bank is tight, why not. =A0 Any on line web site with general info on replacing the ball joints? any tips, will be highly appreciated. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

You're wasting your time.

The tools alone are going to cost you enough to warrant paying someone else to do it.

Unless your big into pain and frustration.

in that case....do a repost and I'll give you some really nasty, bloody knuckle, head bangin tips that include a big arse hammer, some cinder blocks, letting the air out the tires, a wood chisel, the ole lady's nail file, a flat head screw driver, a piece of black iron pipe, a bumper jack, some cable tv wire, and a really drunk buddy.

that's bout the only way i could help without you spending at least a couple hundred on tools.....but i'm willing if you are.

scrib abell ~takes the gauze off and inspects the gore~ ~:~

Reply to
Scrib Abell

$220 for everything or per joint? if it's for all of them run like hell as a quality joint (Napa) is about 80 bucks each. if it's for each joint it's not too bad... 80 bucks for the joint and a couple hours of labor. this really is a job you should farm out unless you've got a mechanic buddy who is willing to stand behind your shoulder in his shop and let you use his tools and brain.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

. . . what Bret said....ditto

hello.

I am in need of replacing the upper and lower ball joints on both front wheels. I am wondering if this is a complicated thing to do, and if some special tools are required? The shop is asking approx 220.00 in labour + parts. I am a bit on the broke side, and I can learn and save some money while the bank is tight, why not. =A0 Any on line web site with general info on replacing the ball joints? any tips, will be highly appreciated. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Bret Chase helps out with..........

$220 for everything or per joint? if it's for all of them run like hell as a quality joint (Napa) is about 80 bucks each. if it's for each joint it's not too bad... 80 bucks for the joint and a couple hours of labor. this really is a job you should farm out unless you've got a mechanic buddy who is willing to stand behind your shoulder in his shop and let you use his tools and brain.

-Bret =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster