Valve Cover breathers

I have a older carb chevy V/8, I understand there is a closed loop system and a open when it comes to what valve covers to use. I currently have the valve covers that have the large breather that vents to the air cleaner and also a PCV Valve. I seem to be using a large amount of oil with this approx. 1980 something 350CI rebuilt motor. I see no oil burning out the tailpipe, even though it is black, but plugs are burning clean and no oil at start up, or going down a hill, or when I open up the breather cap. But 180 miles to a liter and the motor now has 5000 K's since being rebuilt. Do I have the correct system for valve covers, I see that Summit lists to types for chevy V/8's

Reply to
cabopeter

First off it doesn't vent to the air cleaner, it pulls clean air in from the air filter housing. It pulls fumes and moisture out through the PCV hooked at the base of carb. Where is the PCV hooked too? If you have excessive blow by, or if the PCV is plugged you usually end up with a lot of oil in the air filter housing. PCV stands for PositiveCrankcaseVentalation. In the old days there was a tube down the side of the block, driving down the highway caused a vacuum that sucked fumes out of the block. It didn't work very, and with any blow by at all in the engine kept the bottom of the car , the road, the driveway etc well oiled. confusion enters in your mix of metric and US measurements. K to me means

1000, metric or otherwise, and your saying 5000 thousand miles, kilometers? or are you meaning 5000 miles. 180 miles to a liter is about 720 miles to a quart of oil if I read this correct? Whitelightning
Reply to
Whitelightning

Ok I will try USA terms 1 Quart to 180 miles, with 3000 miles on the rebuilt motor. The Valve covers are Edelbrock with only two outlets, Breather is the filler and the outlet to the base of the aircleaner. PCV vents to the base of the Carb. I don't have blow-by, oil leaks,smoke at start up,or see any smoke coming out of exhaust under load or holding back going down hill. But as I said black exhaust pipe, but clean plugs. I am figuring that the rings just did not seat in. But I am trying to solve a few things before having the engine pulled down in the future. I have been told to at least wait till I have more mileage on the engine.

Reply to
cabopeter