Factory R2 Vs Clones What are they worth?

I am looking for a Factory R2 4Speed / Automatic Hawk or Lark. I have been in contact with a Florida Car Owner with a R1/R3 Hawk 4speed clone. His car is very very nice. Any comments from this Community would be fully appreciated. I am not a collector but an enthusiast who has been Studeless for 6 years. Thanks.

Reply to
Studebaker-r2-4-me via CarKB.c

John Poulos

Reply to
Studebaker-r2-4-me via CarKB.c

Reply to
John Poulos

Where do you live ? I'll be happy to send you some pictures of my clone .If you are serious you may as well look at all of them that are available.

Reply to
jflan63

I am VERY serious. I built my "Field of Dreams" two years ago. An attached Garage 16'x 36' and it is empty. I now live in Southern Ontario. My preferance is a factory car, but I am beginning to lowering my expectations. I may be prepared to buy a nice 4 speed or floor shift GT Hawk throw in a R1 cam and Heads. Buy the blower and build my own Clone. I'm I am prepared to ship the car from anywhere in N.America Please send me the pics and a detailed description of what you have in the car. My email address is allenanderson[AT]cogeco[DOT]ca.

Reply to
Studebaker-r2-4-me via CarKB.c

You don't want the R1 heads if you plan to supercharge. You would need the lower compression R2 heads

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

What is the availability and Cost on R2 heads? I am considering bidding on the Tacoma,WA GT Hawk and building a R2 clone. This car already has the R1 Cam installed. Would require Blower setup and Chrome valve covers.

Reply to
Studebaker-r2-4-me via CarKB.c

Since I've done this, I can run the numbers for you:

Waterpump manifold $350 supercharger bracket $350 vibration damper $300-$400 crank pulley $75 R2 carb $350-450 air horn $90 belt/hoses/clamps $150 R2 fuel pump $125 R2 oil pan/windage tray/breather $300-400 R2 air cleaner $300-$400 R2 distributor $150-$250 Avanti pistons $300 R2 timing gear $125 R2 fuel filter/return line/modify fuel tank/ left motor mount $100 Rebuilt R2 heads $300-$500 chrome valve cover/caps $250

In round numbers, 4-5K to build a clone if you start with a power shift/FOM or 4 speed.

In round nimbers, around 3K plus labor to clonet

Studebaker-r2-4-me via CarKB.com wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

I believe there's a low compression truck head that makes a spiffy substitute for the R2 heads, still available NOS. Call Dennis at SASCO and ask him, he should know what you're talking about.

The "R1" heads are just standard late 289 heads anyway, although for some reason the spark plug reach is shorter. Not sure if the machining is different or what.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

John you are a really great guy and knowledgeable too!

Next big question are all of these parts available? Who and where could I get this conversion done for me? I think I would be biting off more than I could chew.

Reply to
Studebaker-r2-4-me via CarKB.c

Yea, but I forgot the blower, add $600-$900. I can sell you my uncompleted R2 4 speed, $5000 museum quality rebuilt engine, with stage

3 heads that flow better then a R3, R3 valves, the works. Everything is done except paint and chrome. New seat upolstery, door panels, carpets,headliner, restored dash. It's a paint job and chrome from being a done show car. 14K before I spent 5K more to finish it and sell for a bunch. Here's the sticker.

and the eng> John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

John, you know my email address run the numbers.

Reply to
Studebaker-r2-4-me via CarKB.c

Reply to
hawker

I may be putting a deal together on JP's unfinished 63 Hawk. Always good to see what is out there. Send me some pics and information. My email address is allenanderson[AT] cogeco[DOT]ca.