Camry's PCV valve

There's no mention in the Camry's owner's manual or scheduled maintenance guide about PCV valve replacement.

Wikipedia says, "Typical maintenance schedules for gasoline engines include PCV valve replacement whenever spark plugs are replaced."

The '06 Camry Maintenance Guide mentions to replace spark plugs at 120,000 miles or 12 years, and to inspect the engine valve clearances at that time, but no mention at all is made of the important PCV system that recirculates blow-by fuel and water vapor from the crankcase to the intake manifold en route to the combustion chamber for re-burning.

By the way, iridium spark plugs lasting 12 years is great. I remember my old Dodge Colt needed new plugs every couple years or so. I guess that's one of the advantages of having iridium and also having a Direct Ignition or Distributor-less Ignition system. I'm getting into this car talk.

Not sure I'll be able to resist changing the spark plugs for 12 whole years, though. Maybe 8 or 10.

Reply to
Built_Well

PCV = positive crankcase ventilation so there is a "V" in a PCV system.

Yes, it is possible that there is no valve in the positive crankcase ventilation system, not sure if the 2006 Camry has a valve or not.

There are two easy ways to check - follow the crankcase ventilation tube from the throttle body to the engine and look for a PCV valve, or look in the factory service manual.

Reply to
Ray O

Do it every 30K miles, along with the PCV grommet. Many cars only call for "inspections." These valves can still click but do not work as well as new valves.

Now the crank is open to the intake hose through the vent hose, but how some of these still can get over pressurized is beyond me.

Reply to
johngdole

Jeff, you're a very smart man who knows a lot about cars, but it looks to me like the '06 Camry's PCV valve does have a moving part inside (a valve), so it's not just an orifice in this model :-)

Judging from a diagram in the Emissions section of the Camry service and repair manual I downloaded from CamryStuff.com , the moving part looks more like a cone than a ball. But I know there are both types. The diagram is on Page 1,500.

For other beginners like myself, since the PCV valve is not the empty type, it's possible it may wear out over enough time, and it might be a good idea to change it with the spark plugs every 12 years, or 8 to 10 years if you wanna jump the gun a little bit like me.

Reply to
Built_Well

I just saw John's posting. I'm sure following his suggestion would be a very good idea, too.

Reply to
Built_Well

Older Toyota did use oirfice valves, but I don't think any late model car does.

These things like to gum up over time, and spray cleaning has been recommended against. There are cars without a replacement schedule and the valves check out according to instructions (clamp hose, listen for a click; shake valve, listen for clicks; blow in both directions etc etc) but still do not work.

The fact is, a PCV valve and grommet are cheaper than an oil change. I'm just saying do not wait until the seals leak because of an over pressured crankcase (even if the vent hose is supposed to be open to the atmosphere it still happens).

Reply to
johngdole

Reply to
M.Balarama

Older ones dont have a pvc valve just an intake hose to the valve cover

Reply to
ransley

Jeff, I actually should not have conclusively said that the '06 Camry uses a valve in the PCV system. I think most of the Genertion 5 Camry manual documents available at CamryStuff.com are from the 2002 Camry, and although the '06 Camry is also a 5th Generation Camry, there are some minor differences between the '02 (first model year in the 5th Generation) and the '06 (last model year in the 5th Generation). I guess the '06 Camry is considered Generation 5.5 with the '07 Camry being Generation 6.

There actually are a few documents at CamryStuff.com that are specific to Generation 5.5 (the '06 Camry), but most documents there refer to the '02, which is very similar to the '06, but again, there are some minor differences. So you might be right after all! Hard to say, though, without spending a lot of money to buy the '06 repair and service manual.

All I know is the Camry's official '06 Owner's Manual and the official '06 Scheduled Maintenace Guide I have at home (in hardback edition) don't mention a thing about the PCV valve or system.

Judging from the responses here, I will take a guess and say the '06 Camry does use a PCV valve in the PCV system. We would have to examine an '06 Camry to say for sure. However I'm not going to remove my car's PCV tube to find out until it's time to replace the spark plugs, which is still years away. No use in accidentally breaking something that ain't broke yet :-)

Reply to
Built_Well

You do not have to remove the PCV tube to see the PCV valve because the PCV tube is connected to the PCV valve. In other words, the valve is not inside the tube.

Open the hood, look for a black hose about the diameter of your little finger between the valve cover and throttle body. If there is a PCV valve, it will be sticking out of the valve cover and the hose will be connected to the valve. If there is no PCV valve, the hose will be connected to a fitting in the valve cover.

Reply to
Ray O

Use an oem pcv valve if you replace it.

Reply to
Steve Austin

The '06 uses a PCV valve. It is threaded into the valve cover. It is also something you want to check and clean at EVERY oil change. A plugged or non-functional PCV is a large cause of sludge in the Toyota engines.

cover it.

Reply to
Steve W.

OEM valves are competitively priced. Make sure the grommet gets chagned too at the same time.

I do use Fram PCV valves but not their oil filters (for those I use Purolator PureOne or Bosch Filtech).

Reply to
johngdole

Absolutely. A PCV valve and a grommet is about $5-8. Try changing out any over pressured engine seal for that price.

Reply to
johngdole

The Japanese don't seem to be all that concerned about them. I haven't seen a replacement interval specified for PCV valves on Hondas or Nissans since at least '96. Many of them are all but inaccessible as well.

Reply to
E Meyer

I spoke to a Honda mechanic about the PCV valve on an '05 Accord. Basically there is none you have to worry about servicing. I forgot exactly what he said, but I think he said it was metal and there was no maintenance timeframe on them. He's never had to change one.

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Some vehicles don't even have them anymore. e.g. my Ford pickup has the valve cover directly vented to the air filter housing. Wierd but true.

(my '55 Stude - engine is basically a clone of a '63 Avanti engine, but with the '55 water pump/accessory drive - has the same exact setup, except the oil pan itself is what's vented, but there is also a PCV valve connected to the carb base.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Yeah, I heard newer engines are doing away with EGR and PCV valves. Some don't even use throttle plates in controlling accelerations anymore.

Reply to
johngdole

BTW, accelerations can be controlled by "continuously variable valve lift, as in BMW's Valvetronic system, instead of moving a throttle plate. This cuts down on the piston pumping loss experienced in low speed operations.

Reply to
johngdole