Warped Brake Rotors?

Just bought a new 06' Silverado 4x4 with the aluminum 5.3 liter to replace my 99' K1500 5.7 liter. I really like the truck so far, it actually gets a little better mileage than my old truck. I only have a few hundred miles on it and just made my first expressway ride with it, I noticed that the steering wheel shimmies and the brake pedal pulsates if I hit the brakes pretty good at 75 mph or so. My guess is that the rotors may be warped. Is this by any chance a common issue with the 06' models?

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
diablo

How many miles were on it when you bought it. Some people that test drive, ride the brakes. Who knows..

Reply to
Bill

I own a 2000 Silverado 4x4 5.3 with the thick front rotors.....

This truck has the thick front Rotors...... Great, should last .....

However they can chip & corrode with time..... 6 yrs in my case...

Let they break in 'Gradually' before you beat them or heat them up...

As the high spots wear off... The brakes should get better...

Reply to
Dennis Mayer

Reply to
Shep

Per diablo:

Depending on use/abuse it may be a common issue with disc brakes period.

When I first had my Suburban, I conscientiously hosed off the undercarriage after every day on a salt water beach. Took me about two weeks to warp the rotors - being too dumb to realize that I shouldn't spray cold water on hot rotors....

I've heard... but don't know... that rotors can even be warped by running the vehicle through a puddle when they're hot.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Reply to
Frank S.

Not sure how long it was there, but I would imagine for several months. I plan to take it in at the end of next week. I have to drop it off to get a spray in liner done that I negotiated with the purchase. Was just curious if this truck was known for rotor warping issues.

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
diablo

I tend to agree with this. It likely surface rusted and then when you braked the rotor had differeng frictonal coefficents on it that caused hots spots that can lead to warpage. If they are warped, do not let them just turn them flat because you will wind up with rotors of varing thickness and different cyrstaline structure and they will be more prone to warp again. Get them replaced if they are warpd and insist on nothing less.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Brian,

Your statement above " the brake pedal pulsates if I hit the brakes pretty good at 75 mph or so." makes me think the pedal pulsating could be the ABS system doing it's job, but that shouldn't make the wheel shimmie. Does the wheel shimmie all the time at 75, or just under braking?

Reply to
websurfer

I disagree with ABS theory because at 75 the rotors heat quickly when braking and if they are warped, you will know it at 75 on a firm stop.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

It's not the ABS, just good old fashioned brake pulsating from what I'm assuming to be rotors warped. As Shep stated in his post it's a good chance that they were very rusty from sitting on the lot. Steering wheel only shimmies when the brake pedal pulsates so one is a cause from the other.

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
diablo

I also would agree with the warped rotors. Rust build-up from sitting usually wears off pretty quick. I would almost suspect that someone test-drove it like a rented mule and did some really hard braking before the brakes and rotors were properly broke in.

Reply to
Chevguy

Okay. That's why I asked the question... Since it only shimmies under braking it could very well be warped rotors. Since it's under warranty, take 'er back.

Reply to
websurfer