Weird Problem - SOLVED

Back before Christmas, I posted a problem that I'd been having with my

1990 Burb 5.7L.=A0 I don't have the original post but, I'll fill in as best as I can.=A0 After a 3-hour ride on a ferry (cold da, choppy seas), the truck developed bucking and hesitating so I thought that it was water in the gas because the only thing that I had done out of the ordinary was to buy gas on the island that we had been visiting.=A0 I put dry gas in the tank and after a while, the problem seemed to be solved but still occurred occasionally.=A0 The next day, we headed for home and after driving over 350 symptom-free miles, the symptoms came back but were very mild.

=A0 The symptoms re-appeared sporadically over the next few weeks but seemed to be connected with cold and vibration because every time I drove on a rough road in cold weather, they came back.=A0 Finally, right before Christmas, after it had been cold for a few days, the symptoms lasted long enough for me to do some troubleshooting.=A0 I checked for codes and no codes were present.=A0 I then checked the injectors and they were both working fine.=A0 Some of you made suggestions and I followed through on them.=A0 I gave the truck a complete tune-up and checked all the wiring around the engine.=A0 I even changed the O2 and knock sensors just for insurance (incidently Doc, I took your advice and drained the cooling system before changing the knock sensor and it was a relatively dry job).=A0 The ESC was not the correct one for this engine so I got the correct one and it made no difference either (the ESC on the engine was for an '87 - 88 inline six).=A0

After I was about to give up, I got a stroke of luck -=A0 the engine almost died on the highway and would barely idle (almost stranded me LOL).=A0 So, I checked things again and lo and behold, the injector on the driver's side was dead (as in no fuel being delivered at all, setting a code 44).=A0 After installing new injectors, the truck runs just fine.=A0 Yesterday, it started with no problems and the temp ws just +2 degrees F. I drove it all day over rough roads with no problems. Thanks to everyone that offered their suggestions. Rich B

Reply to
Rich B
1990 Burb 5.7L. I don't have the original post but, I'll fill in as best as I can. After a 3-hour ride on a ferry (cold da, choppy seas), the truck developed bucking and hesitating so I thought that it was water in the gas because the only thing that I had done out of the ordinary was to buy gas on the island that we had been visiting. I put dry gas in the tank and after a while, the problem seemed to be solved but still occurred occasionally. The next day, we headed for home and after driving over 350 symptom-free miles, the symptoms came back but were very mild.

The symptoms re-appeared sporadically over the next few weeks but seemed to be connected with cold and vibration because every time I drove on a rough road in cold weather, they came back. Finally, right before Christmas, after it had been cold for a few days, the symptoms lasted long enough for me to do some troubleshooting. I checked for codes and no codes were present. I then checked the injectors and they were both working fine. Some of you made suggestions and I followed through on them. I gave the truck a complete tune-up and checked all the wiring around the engine. I even changed the O2 and knock sensors just for insurance (incidently Doc, I took your advice and drained the cooling system before changing the knock sensor and it was a relatively dry job). The ESC was not the correct one for this engine so I got the correct one and it made no difference either (the ESC on the engine was for an '87 - 88 inline six).

After I was about to give up, I got a stroke of luck - the engine almost died on the highway and would barely idle (almost stranded me LOL). So, I checked things again and lo and behold, the injector on the driver's side was dead (as in no fuel being delivered at all, setting a code 44). After installing new injectors, the truck runs just fine. Yesterday, it started with no problems and the temp ws just +2 degrees F. I drove it all day over rough roads with no problems. Thanks to everyone that offered their suggestions. Rich B

Good work bud! It's always nice to hear someone with a real elusive problem finally found it.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"