What's the deal? Black smoke - 91 454 4 barrell engine

Anyone have some suggestions: I have a lot of black smoke blowing from the dual exhasut on my 1990 Chevrolet 454 4-Barrell carb (it's a P30 truck chasis) , on my RV. On idle it runs fine. On cold it runs fine. When starting out at normal acceleration, after it's been warmed up, then getting black smoke on exhaust. Once it's up to speed, then it runs ok, but sometimes the acceleration is weak. Feels like the choke or fuel/air mix is not right.

Reply to
JonG

Typically the floats in those carbs saturate with gas with age and cause it to run rich like you discribe. Time foe a new float if carb has never been rebuilt. (this is a normal occurance)

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan