Black Smoke loss of power

I have a 1990 VW Corrado and i have gone 6 months w/o driving my car. There is black smoke coming from exhaust and loss of power, I replaced distributor cap,rotor,fuel pressure regulator,checked fuel injectors and their were fine,removed the supercharger cuz it was throwing oil to the engine so i had to replace the cat converter and O2 sensor,It doesn?t have a MAF. Can it be the ECU??

Reply to
Chiquis

Just as easily, you could have stripped the rings starting the engine 'dry' after sitting for six months. Even though black smoke usually means that the engine is running rich, it could also be running with the correct amount of fuel but very poor compression. Loss of power, black smoke.

The oil-scraper (third) ring is usually the one that suffers the least from a dry-start as it is 'right next to' the oil, so the results do fit that scenario.

When starting an engine that has sat for any significant amount of time, it is best to pull the plugs and squirt a few drops of "Marvel Mystery Oil" or any thin oil into the cylinder and crank (by hand if possible) it a bit to free up the rings, coat the piston walls and so forth. Otherwise, you are getting metal-to-metal for the first 30 seconds or so that the engine is running... NOT good.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

how's the vacuum lines on the fuel pressure regulator? leaking ones can mess up the mixture big time by allowing too much fuel into the engine.

Reply to
Matt B.

Not a good theory since it's common for new cars to sit on the dealers lots for many months without being started.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

removed the charger! There's a hose from the intake running to the ECU that detects engine vacuum & boost. That hose must be 1meter long to prevent issues. But on the other hand you could have other things causing the problem. I can tell you 99.9% of the time it's not the ECU. I use to have about 20 of them as spares from tech who thought they would fix the problems.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

The car has been sitting for a while but i do turn it on once in a while, but the thing is that it runs good when the engine is cold but when it starts warming up thats when its starts stalling and blowing black smoke. I had sent it to 3 mechanics and they cant figure out what is wrong with it, but i will check the comprision. Yeah i replaced the pressure regulator and checked if there was any vaccum leaks, any other advise guys. P.S. thanks for helpin

"Chiquis" wrote

Reply to
Chiquis

Pull the plug from the o2 sensor. Could be that it's shorted which will make the ecu think that it's running lean. The sensor is only checked by the ecu when it's warmed up. Pull the vac. that goes to the ecu and make sure it's not blocked. Last check the blue cool water sensor. It should have a resistance of about 200ohm when hot.

SFC

"Chiquis" schreef in bericht news:977441 snipped-for-privacy@0000.com...

Reply to
SFC

Two word reply (as my longer one seems to have gotten lost): Assembly Lubricant.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

May seem really dumb, but are all of your grounds good? Same symptoms in my 1.8 would indicate that the ground, especially the ground on the side of the cylinder head, was making poor contact. Vr6 is a different engine, but it's worth taking a look.

Reply to
starburst