What vehicle would be best?

We have a 24 hour mobile patrol at the place where I work. This vehicle starts and stops about 100 times a day, with the driver shutting off the engine and locking the doors. Our perimeter road is all weather, but not paved, so 4 wheel drive is not neccessary. In the past we've tried compact trucks (fuel economy), full size trucks (durability), minivans, and even cars. None have lasted very long and all have been trashed by the staff assigned to drive them. I have researched security sights and searched the internet trying to find something with AC and heat, real doors that can be locked, a reliable engine that can handle idling in South Texas heat, with a "bare bones" interior to withstand the staff abuse. I apologize for this being off topic, but this is the only NG that I read regularly. Leo

Reply to
Leo Janysek

el Diablo

Yeah but not one with the 4.6 get one with a 5.0 old fashioned OHV V8 the

Reply to
jdoe

Crown Vickie police interceptor version. tough as nails, you cant kill em and they go like stink. Lots of em here in Ontario where the winters are cold and summers are up and down like a toilet seat.

Reply to
dave

RE/

Devil's advocate question: Why not just stop and lock instead of shutting it down?

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

Get a US Postal Jeep. They all see this environment every day. They go for insane intervals, are spartan on the interior, and get around well in poor weather. Not hot rods, but they'll get it done.

Big Chris

Leo Janysek wrote:

Reply to
Big Chris

Thanks to all who replied. We had a crown Vic, our staff trashed the interior in less than year. The idea of a postal jeep intrigues me, especially the interior. I'll research that some more. Thanks, Leo

Reply to
Leo Janysek