1994 Timing belt - Question 2

I expect I will replace the belt, idlers, tensions and such. Also the water pump and thermostat. What other things might the dealer recommend whilst the engine is being serviced?

Q. What is a reasonable price for an Acura dealer to charge for these efforts. I acknowledge a possibly wide variance, but just a ballpark figure.

Thanks once again.

Reply to
T.H

Forgot the make/model.

1994 Acura Integra GS-R VTEC.
Reply to
T.H

"T.H" wrote in news:1oydnTHOcYCO9DPXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com:

You've pretty much covered it. Plus the coolant.

With all the ancillary OEM parts and with dealer shop rates, it could be as high as $800.

You don't see those around too often any more. It could be worth something one day, if the body is in top shape.

Reply to
Tegger

$1240 at my local Acura. But offering a $150 coupon on service over $1K.

Local import shop wants $1000.

For the difference, the Acura service is probably a better bet, yes?

Best.

Garage kept. Tiny bit of rust on drivers side rear wheel well. No wrecks. No other damage. Interior good, non-smoker.

Best car I have ever owned.

But I would like an NSX...

Reply to
T.H

"T.H" wrote in news:S96dnZ1gqJgzPzPXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com:

That's a whopper. I can only guiess that some of the parts are GS-R specific and very expensive.

Likely, yes. Unless the independent shop is very familiar with the Honda setup AND uses OEM parts.

You should make sure the dealer is using OEM parts as well. Some dealers will respond to competition from independents by substituting aftermarket parts to keep their costs down (the dealer has to buy their OEM parts from Honda).

That driver's side rust is going to be a problem if the car is ever subject to rain/snow/dew/splash. It's rusting from the inside and will continue to get worse unless bodywork is done or the car is kept dry 100% of the time.

Wouldn't we all. I see NSX's come up occasionally at auction. They're going for over $20K now.

Reply to
Tegger

Follow-up -and- question.

Local Acura dealer completed the project just under $1100.00. Parts were almost $600.

Antenna. I have lived with the mast in the [mostly] up position. My antenna on the car, that is...

But the dealer kindly washed the vehicle prior to my claiming it after the aforementioned service. The antenna had been pushed down. When I powered on the radio, the antenna deployed to the almost complete length. But it will not retract when radio/ignition is powered off. Back to what I had grown accustomed to. Just a whirring noise and then a click before the antenna motor stops.

Does this suggest that I might get away with replacing just the antenna assembly as opposed to the entire electric antenna drive motor? One is only a little expensive and the other is not a worthwhile investment, IMHO.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

Reply to
T.H

"T.H" wrote in news:x6idnfPOUOcidS_XnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com:

It's probably just the mast's plastic gear track. You can buy and install that track separately from the motor and mast. And it's a LOT cheaper than either of the other two.

I think I have instructions for that somewhere. Will look tonight.

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9C8A4C61C2329tegger@208.90.168.18:

I had something online already, actually:

It looks like the mast and gear track are one piece, so my earlier comment wasn't quite accurate. Your "antenna assembly" phrase was more accurate.

At the dealer you get an "antenna mast kit", then you follow the directions on the PDF.

Reply to
Tegger