timing belt noise question

I've already decided to replace my 93 trooper timing belt (at 57,800 miles) but wanted to check if there is usually a rattling noise at idle speeds that go away when rpm's go over 2000 approx.

also, is there any connection to noise in these engines in using 87 octane versus 93 octane gas?

cost of belt and tensioner repair should be around $350-400 correct?

Reply to
Joe Isuzu

Assuming it's the 3.2L SOHC Isuzu engine... yes, the rattling is a common problem. It's caused by the timing belt tensioner so be sure to replace it with the belt (conveniently, it seems to go bad right around belt change time.)

Doesn't the engine have a knock sensor? used by the computer: detecting pre-igntion knock or ping from to-low fuel octane it adjusts ignition timing to make it go away??? I've always used regular (as low as 85 octane) in my '94 with no pre-ignition problems... could it be your knock sensor is defective???

Depends heavily on where you get the work done... dealer?? trusted independent?? very trusted friend?? yourself??? Also consider replacing the water pump and crank shaft oil seal, since they're in the area anyway.

BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh

"BuddyWh" wrote

thanks for the confirmation and the suggestion to replace the tensioner also

I was going to let a trusted garage do this one, they've done some excellent repairs on a couple cars for me and I tried to ballpark the cost, any pointers appreciated if my price is off? I tried estimating parts and labor.

from what I know the waterpump was already in my plans but will add the oil seal to my list

please correct if my budget seems off timing belt timing belt tensioner $400 water pump $50 cs oil seal $25 total job $500-600 ?

Reply to
Joe Isuzu

Just had my timing belt tensioner replaced on my 93 (133,xxx miles). It started out as a rattle just as the OP described and over a few weeks grew to the point where I almost had it towed into the shop.

While my mechanic as there I had him replace the water pump and the timing belt both of which were original equipment. I don't believe the replaced the seal but they may have. It cost me nearly $1200 but that's big city prices.

Reply to
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." wrote

well, I live in a city with 4 million people and the standard dealer price for timer belt replacement is $350, including parts (belt is $69) and labor

if the tensioner, aka. pusher, is replaced, there is an additional $75 charge for parts only, no labor

water pump original dealer part is $150 + labor, but the labor is minimal since it's just a couple bolts and the belts are off anyway

Reply to
Joe Isuzu

Good prices... I'd say go for it if you trust the dealer. In my area I wouldn't trust a dealer farther than I could throw one. Personally I've had very bad experiences with dealer repairs. I've used the same mechanic for years now and he may be expensive but I can absolutely trust his work and diagnosis. Although I've rarely had to bring my Trooper in for repair I've never had to bring it back to fix a problem that wasn't corrected the first time. To me that's worth the "extra" money.

Reply to
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

Based on what I paid at a Ford dealer that had recently left the Isuzu fold (they had Isuzu trained mechanics), your total price is about right. The budget, though, was a bit different IIRC:

timing belt: $60 tensioner: $90 water pump: $175 seal: $15

Miscellaneous stuff... grease, sealant, oil, anti-freeze, gaskets another $50, the balance of my $650 job was labor. The labor was billed straight book hours for tensioner/belt plus .5 hr for the water pump (nothing AFAICT for the seal) but priced using Ford rates, about $10/hr cheaper than Isuzu rates at the local Chevrolet/Isuzu dealer. Only the timing belt was not an Isuzu OE part. You could save maybe $75-100 by getting an aftermarket pump, but I suggest not getting an aftermarket tensioner. Isuzu recently redesigned the tensioner and you don't know what you'll get in the aftermarket.

BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh