Timing Belt question

I own a 2001 SR5 Tundra 4.7 V-8 with ~100,000 miles. I know I'm at a point where the timing belt should be replaced. Having just moved to the Atlanta area I don't know a good mechanic so I'm inclined to use the dealer. They quoted ~850.00 to replace the belt, water pump and tensioners if necessary. I've pretty much used the dealer for any other work although most of it has simply been fluid changes.

My questions are, how complicated is it to change the belt?

Should I stick with the dealer since I assume they have the most experience with Tundras?

Also is absolutely necessary to replace the water pump?

Any opinions on the dollar amount?

I know the service writers are compensated for the amounts of service they write. Thanks for any feedback.

Reply to
great malenko

Change the water pump if you change the belt. It is right under the timing cover so in the long run you will save on labor. I am not sure if the dealer will charge much more in labor but usually since most of the work is done removing the interference getting to the timing chain, very little labor is involved changing the water pump.

Reply to
William Michael Greene

Some shops charge book rate, and others charge what they do. I'd call around and ask.

Waterpump and idler pullys make sense to me.

Reply to
Luba Papageorgio

Let me know how it comes out, I will be looking at the 100,000 mile service on my 2005 Tundra next year.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Thanks, that makes sense.

Reply to
great malenko

Thanks, I'll make few calls.

Reply to
great malenko

Will do, I guess I'm not really putting alot of miles on my truck :-).

Reply to
great malenko

I use mine for an HVAC service truck and it just turned 40K miles last week. Its only 14 month old, and I haven't taken it on a road trip *yet*.

Reply to
Noon-Air