2005 TL Nav/Audio System and MP3's

In an earlier thread, someone posted that their stock (non-Nav) TL CD player played MP3 files just fine.

I tried one in my Nav equiped 2005 TL and it would not play it.

It was not clear from the earlier conversation if anyone has had any luck playing mp3 files on a Nav TL.

Can anyone comment?

And, if you have made it work, what is the file structure on the CD? Just files in the root directory with no other directory structure?

Paul

Reply to
Ramapo

Neither the NAVI or non-NAVI systems in the TL play MP3 files. What's happening is that the writer s/w is converting the MP3 files into an audio CD compatible format and some people just assume they're still in MP3 format. Ask someone who thinks they've been successful how many songs they have on the CD. I bet it's closer to 20 than

100. :)
Reply to
Dan

Thanks. I have been unable to get any "real" mp3 files to play in the TL NAVI system. It always reports a "format" error.

MP3's converted to standard CD format play just fine. But, of course, as you stated, they are no longer mp3's at that point.

Paul

Reply to
Unknown

You might want to take a look here

I don't see why people shouldn't be able to create a dvd-audio disk with 6 cd's worth of music. I don't have a TL or anything with a dvd-a player so I have no way of testing it.

Reply to
Tony B.

If anyone has been able to do this, please post how to do it.

Reply to
Curtis

Has anyone played with the Bluetooth for their cell phone? Any comments?

Also, how many people have DVD audio CD's? other than the one demo disk that comes with the car?

Reply to
SKIP

I have an '05 TL with NAV. I just purchased the new Motorola E815 phone from Verizon over the weekend. The Bluetooth works perfectly - it paired with the car in less than 30 seconds. The voice dial commands work perfectly and the display shows caller-ID (by number), signal strength and battery life.

My advice would be to check the Acura HandsFreeLink web page for phone compatibility. The Motorola E815 isn't listed there, but it's essentially a refresh of the Motorola V710, which *is* certified to work with the TL and RL. Some of the newer PDA phones, like the Treo

650, are getting a really bad reputation for not pairing properly with other bluetooth devices, so beware - or at least try before you buy.

I have a couple of DVD audio disks that I purchased just to see if I could hear any difference. Overall, the in car audio is SO good on whatever source (regular CD's, XM, etc) that I don't think DVD disks sound all that much better. Plus, they're difficult to find and the selection is still limited in most stores.

- J

Jeremy - Verizon News Admin

Reply to
Jeremy

I have a Verizon 815 enroute to me. I am porting my home fone to my new cell. Your information is very important to me. I appreciate your help! Where do you put ur 815 to get max signal strength from the fone? Also, if you plug the 12 volt cigarette adapter in, does Bluetooth realize that the fone is on 12 volts, versus the internal battery? What is the suggested initial charge for the 815 and its internal battery? How do you like the

815 overall?
Reply to
SKIP

Normally, I leave the E815 in the pocket of my jeans or shorts, but sometimes I've just dropped it into the cup holder. Yesterday, I left it in the pocket of my gym bag, placed my gym back in the trunk and was driving home and received a call through the bluetooth connection. No static, no issues at all.

The MID doesn't display the bluetooth signal strength, but rather the normal "bars" of signal you would get from the cell tower. I think I also mentioned that the MID shows caller-ID (by number) and battery strength of the phone. I've seen some reports on the Acurazine website of people having problems with their TL and phone losing the bluetooth pairing. I can say that that has NOT happened with my TL and the E815 so far. They seem to find each other and work as advertised every single time thus far.

I haven't tried the 12-volt car adapter yet. I'll try to remember to do that at lunch today and see what it does. I imagine that the MID will either show the phone battery as charging or it will do nothing different at all.

The Verizon guy told me to let it charge overnight for the first charge. I get *lots* of calls and text messages, and battery life so far has been excellent even with the bluetooth turned on at all times.

My only complaint about the phone so far is that the vibrate mode is not as strong as other phones I've had. Even with it in my pocket, I sometimes don't immediately feel it vibrate. Otherwise, the phone has been great. Granted I've only had it for three days now.

I think all mobile phone cameras are kind of gimmicky, but this phone seems to take decent pics. Nothing extraordinary, but they're definitely better than my old Samsung a610, and even better than my friends Motorola V710.

Glad I could help,

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy

Jeremy: Thanks for the help. My 815 arrived today, after FED EX delivered it to a wrong address. The cigarette lighter plug adapter is fried, as the light came on once and then not again. My Nokia version plugs in the cigarette plug adapter no problem and lights up. I am disappointed that the phone does not come with any holder or carrying case. All the holders are optional accessories. Oh well. Anyone have an idea on their preference? Ok on the TL blue tooth. It would be nice if they had a place to hold the unit upright for best reception. I will charge mine overnight for a good first charge. Any info on when the 06' TL's will be out?

Reply to
SKIP

By the way, who makes the TL stereo system/Nav? I have heard both Panasonic and Alpine!

Reply to
SKIP

You heard correctly. The stereo is made by Panasonic and the Navigation system is made by Alpine.

Reply to
Lee Florack

"" wrote: > On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 21:41:42 -0700, "SKIP" > wrote: > > >By the way, who makes the TL stereo system/Nav? I have heard > both Panasonic > >and Alpine! > > You heard correctly. The stereo is made by Panasonic and the > Navigation system is made by Alpine.

I have a Navi ?05 TL and no it?ll never play MP3 files as you know by now, also, considering Panasonic makes the stereo I?m very impressed with the way it sounds, I mean come on let?s face it, Panasonic???? :P Anywho, I agree in the previous post that the sound quality is very high from any source in the TL, however when you slap in a DTS disc the seperation of sound is far greater than any other source. Try the Eagles, or Queen, something acoustical maybe, when you?re listening to maufactured music (synthesizer, etc.) it?s harder to pick out the different sounds.

Question: WHY DIDN?T THEY PUT A DVD MOVIE CAPABLE PLAYER IN THE TL???? What, the eighteen cents it would?ve cost them was too much?!?! ! :P

Reply to
ekimevil

That one's easy - the DVD won't play movies because of the laws prohibiting the driver from being able to see the movie. There is a fear of all the Homer Simpsons out there setting the cruise control at 80 and then settling back to watch the movie instead of the road ...

Reply to
E Meyer

"" wrote: > On 7/11/05 12:36 PM, in article > 1_626640 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com, > "ekimevil" > wrote: > > > "" wrote: > >> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 21:41:42 -0700, "SKIP" > >> wrote: > >> > >>> By the way, who makes the TL stereo system/Nav? I have > heard > >> both Panasonic > >>> and Alpine! > >> > >> You heard correctly. The stereo is made by Panasonic and > the > >> Navigation system is made by Alpine. > > > > I have a Navi ?05 TL and no it?ll never play MP3 files as > you know by > > now, also, considering Panasonic makes the stereo I?m very > impressed > > with the way it sounds, I mean come on let?s face it, > Panasonic???? :P > > Anywho, I agree in the previous post that the sound quality > is very > > high from any source in the TL, however when you slap in a > DTS disc > > the seperation of sound is far greater than any other > source. Try the > > Eagles, or Queen, something acoustical maybe, when you?re > listening to > > maufactured music (synthesizer, etc.) it?s harder to pick > out the > > different sounds. > > > > Question: WHY DIDN?T THEY PUT A DVD MOVIE CAPABLE PLAYER IN > THE TL???? > > What, the eighteen cents it would?ve cost them was too > much?!?! ! :P > > That one's easy - the DVD won't play movies because of the > laws prohibiting > the driver from being able to see the movie. There is a fear > of all the > Homer Simpsons out there setting the cruise control at 80 and > then settling > back to watch the movie instead of the road ...

Sure, very understandable, however, what about all of the after market

7"LCD dvd screens you see out there that are gaining in popularity... nobody who owns a TL wants to sully the clean stock look by altering the dash and putting in a different screen... is there some way around this? can you use the stock screen for video dvds? plus, homer simspon is cool.
Reply to
ekimevil