MP3's on Subaru Outback 2005 standard CD Player?

Hi,

Does the standard CD player on the Outback 2005 play MP3's? Failing that, has anyone had any luck replacing the standard unit on the Outback 2005?

Regards,

Han.

Reply to
Han Chung

Since the vehicle specifications make no mention of mp3 capability, I highly doubt it. As for replacement...

With the older models, no. I've had two in-dash mp3 player units in my '95 Outback. However, I was looking at the dash pics of the new Legacy a while back, and noticed that they'd gone the way of many other manufacturers with a stereo that is integrated into the dash in some way.

On the Legacy/Outback, it's hard to tell from the pictures, but it might be just a double-DIN stereo behind that dash plastic. If that's the case, you'll only need to mount the stereo and either replace the dash plastic with an aftermarket piece designed for the task, or be handy with a rotary tool on the original plastic.

I emailed Subaru a while back about the stereo, and they gave me the predictable canned response, that they were unable to test aftermarket equipment and didn't recommend it, yadda yadda yadda. Since I was asking out of curiosity rather than actual need, I didn't bother with the next logical step, which would have been contacting places like Crutchfield and local stereo installers.

Anyway, suffice to say that it isn't a 10 minute backyard job anymore like it was on the Subies of old. Yes, I know that the "built in" look is more modern and appealing to the eye, but this sort of thing just annoys me.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

"Han Chung" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

NO

NO

Marc

Reply to
Angler

you're sol. subaru has lost me as a future buyer until they use a standard size stereo again. if the one they gives you sucks (the one in my 04 sure did) you're stuck.

Reply to
busterb

Only the CD player in the VDC model will handle MP3's. The standard radio I don't believe can be upgraded as they are odd sized, and part of the climate control unit. I have customers who want to add a cassette and we cannot even tie in. The only option is to have your player transmit on a FM frequency.

Reply to
Marc

Marc

"Marc" a écrit dans le message de news:4112345b$0$2820$ snipped-for-privacy@news.rcn.com...

Reply to
Angler

What a shame. Tied into the climate control? Didn't they learn from Ford, who had a lot of pissed off customers with that dreadful "football" radio in the old Taurus?

Oh well. FM modulation, in my experience, is of questionable quality. Upgrading the stock speakers to better aftermarket speakers is one step in the right direction, but even then you've really got to use an amp to get the full effect. And in order to do that with a stock stereo, you're stuck with a line level converter, which again in my experience is another move in the questionable quality direction.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

GAH! I really like the new Legacy, but bought a Forester instead, and one of the reasons was because of the stereo.

On one hand, a "molded-in" stereo is a bit less attractive to thieves, but unless it's of high quality, and includes MP3 capability (or at least a miniplug input fercrissakes) I won't buy one. I spend enough time in my car that the sound system is of considerable importance.

Reply to
Mr. A

Well, it looks like the general consensus is that the base model CD player on the Outback 2005 doesn't play MP3's. Does anyone know if it will play a CD-R that I record from my computer? I know there are some CD players out there that don't play these types of CD's, hopefully the Outback isn't one of these.

Han.

Reply to
Han Chung

My 04 WRX plays CD-Rs fine. MP3, no.

Reply to
CompUser

My '03 Baja plays CD-Rs fine but no MP3s.

Reply to
jMon

There are two separate questions here. CD-R and CD-RW CDs made at home behave differently from purchased CDs because the information is stored on the home made ones in a different way -- a dye layer is altered by the recording process on home made CDs whereas pits are created in an aluminum reflecting layer on purchased CDs. Some CD players (most newer ones) can handle the dye layer method as well as the pitted aluminum method, but some (most older ones) cannot.

If you record an uncompressed AIFF file to a home made CD and play it back on a CD player capable of dealing with home made CDs, it should work fine.

The MP3 format is a different (compressed) format and your CD player needs additional software to recognize and decode it; the older CD players don't have that. If what you now have is already an MP3 file, software to convert MP3 files into AIFF files so that you can record to CD without MP3 compression is available, but once the fidelity is compromised by the MP3 compression process, it is gone forever and the reconstituted AIFF file won't sound as good as the original source, although it can now be recorded to CD and played back on a player ignorant of the MP3 format. So the thing to do is to duplicate your original source (CD, tape, LP, whatever) to the CD directly without using MP3 compression. What you lose in recording time per disk you gain in improved audio.

David, who thinks all 8 bit audio sounds bad, and some 8 bit audio sounds even worse than other 8 bit audio

Reply to
David Ryeburn

Reply to
quisp99

The following describes my iPod setup: new 4th generation 40GB iPod with DLO (Digital Lifestyle Outfitters) TransPod FM (all-in-one DC charger, FM transmitter via dock, and variably adjustable stand, plugged into the cigarette lighter). I can read and adjust my iPod from the driver's seat (caution: I drive like you do!). The FM-via-dock connector supposedly gives a much stronger signal than the headphone jack. The DLO TransPod also comes with a variety of elbow sections to use a multitude of ways, as well as a flex cable charger/adapter, if you prefer to use that. And it really sounds great, too!

Check out the pictures on my web site:

-KarenM-

Reply to
Karen Martin