Engine turns but will not start

I've been troubleshooting my wife's car for two days now. Everything seems to point to the distributor. Tests have shown that the primary and secondary ignition coils are operational, that voltage is reaching the ignition control module (icm) and that there is voltage between the module and the coils. New timing belt. New rotor. New distributor cap. wires are only 16 months old. No spark!

I'm stumped! By the way, I also checked the ckp/tdc/cyp sensors. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Torquedtootight

Is it literally a new timing belt? Was it maybe installed off by a notch?

Just a thought.

Reply to
Sandy

what's the make, model, year.

Reply to
James S

Thanks for your query. That's what I was thinking too. Before looking into the timing, I thought I'd better make a final attempt at the distributor. I noticed that the resistance between the primary and secondary coil was off by 3k ohms. I'd dismissed it earlier, but thought to test the variance anyway. The new coil was within the range of 12-18k ohms. With it installed, the engined fired right up. Just 3k ohms! Can you believe it?

Thanks again

Reply to
Torquedtootight

I had a similar problem a while ago. The coil test good so I replaced a lot of components. As a last resort I installed a new coil and the engine started immediately.

Reply to
William Werezak

"William Werezak" wrote in news:F7xcf.122353$ snipped-for-privacy@read1.cgocable.net:

You can't really "test" the coil. Your 1.5V test current will be handled fine, especially when the engine's cold. 20,000V at operating temp is something totally different.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

news:F7xcf.122353$ snipped-for-privacy@read1.cgocable.net:

You can't really "test" the coil other than physically testing it.

Reply to
Burt S.

The really cool thing would be to have a test jig that lets you test the coil and ignitor together... then I realized we have it - it's called a "car!" 8^P

Mike (just tired, not senile... I hope.)

Reply to
Michael Pardee