someone left the cake (Integra) out in the rain...

1991 Integra 165K miles, bought it new.

AC's been dead for several years. horn is dead, one frozen caliper and a ball joint about to go. Any takers? Never burned a drop of oil. Did I mention the shifter (5 spd) is really hard to move (bushings in the linkage need changing). My boat car. It's been sittiing in the yard for 2 months (since it got hot and sticky) and when I tried to start it the battery was dead. I trickle/float charged it back to health over several days with the hood open, sometimes fully, sometimes almost closed, and sometimes somewhere between the two. Yes it rained several times and hard. Now I got battery, but smoke coming from the hood and the car won't start or stay running. I think a belt is spinning but not turning its module and so getting hot and smoking. I tried to get my hand to the belt I thought might be the one to feel if it was hot, but couldn't get my hand in there. I had no assistant. From where the smoke was coming, it appears to be on the driver's side 2/3's of the way towards the radiator (from the firewall). I checked the oil and it was low, but the puppy is on an incline withn the front end up so I didn't aded add'l oil. If I could get a mallet to whatever is not moving then maybe it would start? If it starts I may just give it to the local public radio station as a donation and move the trailer hitch to my wife's 1998 Accord when she upgrades and if I can find some metal to attach it to. Any non humorous suggestions here? What the hell, humor or wit is always welcome. Cheers

Reply to
finding z0

The book value (US) of a mid-range Integra in rough condition is between $300 and $400.

IMHFO, your best bet is to donate it to a registered charity, and be economical with the truth about its condition when it's tax time. Take a $700 or so deduction. That way, you'll get $200 or $250 for it.

Reply to
Dean Dark

finding z0 wrote in news:881d5ed5-26b5-4973-be2a- snipped-for-privacy@x13g2000vbe.googlegroups.com:

Most likely corrosion on the flat brass strip that goes to the contact ring behind the steering wheel. Scrub that strip clean and you'll probably find the horn comes back.

If one is frozen, the other is close behind. Luckily, they are all easy fixes. I just rebuilt all 4 of mine.

Easy replacement.

If I was retired and you were close by, I'd snap it up.

That's a fiddle, especially with an aftermarket cat in the way.

That would be a seized alternator, most likely. Loosen the belt to that, and see if the alternator pulley spins by hand. If not, lucky you. You need to pull the left driveshaft to replace the alternator.

I like the donation idea.

Reply to
Tegger

Dean Dark wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Get somebody to crash into you and it's worth Basic Transportation to the insurance company, or close to $2,000.

I live in simulated terror of anybody smacking /my/ '91 Teg. It wouldn't take much more than a love-tap to total it. And I don't even have any rust.

348,000 miles and counting. I need to put a new odometer pic up on my site...
Reply to
Tegger

Sure, but the OP's car is not basic transportation. By his own admission it's non-running and pretty much a basket case that probably isn't worth anyone's time, effort or money to get back to being "basic transportation." I'm not sure what an insurance company would make of an obvious non-runner somehow getting creamed by a truck. It all sounds very iffy, and I think it's a bad idea. :-)

Reply to
Dean Dark

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
finding Z zero

Yeah, but the battery is all charged. That's gotta be worth something. BTW, my basic transportation is my 2001 Prelude, bought new. That's my new car! And my 1981 Yamaha XS650 (bought 2 yrs. ago)....which has been sitting around alot as well, but in the gaah rohge.

Reply to
finding Z zero

finding Z zero wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@x21g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

Uphill. WAY uphill. It's so far uphill from you that border guards are imposed along the way.

Reply to
Tegger

Dean Dark wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It was a thought. Not a good one, but a thought nevertheless.

Reply to
Tegger

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

After noticing my jib sail being somewhat moist (I keep it in the hatchback), I moved the sail indoors and towelled out the puddles under the hatchmat(?). Remember, this is my boat car.I propped up the mat with a brick and supported the hatch open with the ice scrapper to further dry out the rear. I've only replaced the lifters once in 19 years though they haven't worked for much of that time. Forgot to close it last night and it poured. Why isn't there a rust hole where you could use one? Now where'd I put that old ice pick......

Reply to
finding Z zero

finding Z zero wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@q35g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:

Mix a gallon of bleach with eight gallons of water and pour it into your hatch. Major rust will appear in mere weeks!

Reply to
Tegger