What month do Honda / Acura navigation DVD's get updated?

I have a 2005 Honda Navigation DVD (orange v3.4, I think) in the factory system in my 2005 Accord.

I am looking for updated road maps, and tested in a dealership that the

2006 DVD has some major highway revisions in my area (Boston), but not all of them.

I am debating on whether to wait for 2007 or not, in hopes of getting most of the major highway revisions (construction was mostly completed by early 2006). Does anyone know approximately what month the update comes out? Also, how long does it take to filter to new dealership cars, so I can test out the maps?

-MVL

Reply to
mvl_groups_user

Updates come out in the fall with the new cars (at least with the Pilot), although it can be delayed until winter. You can go to

see what the current version of the DVD is for your car,and to get a brief list of the updates.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

They do not seem to be on a fixed schedule, but generally appear in the late fall or early winter. At this point I would wait.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Honda H Emblem Badge Shop and Store Civic Accord Integra Acura Jazz Type-R S2000

Where can I buy Honda H Emblem Badge Red, Blue, Black, White, Yellow ?

Who buy these badge in

?

Please comment and address about this shop of price and services ..

Regards,

RC Man

mvl_groups snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
rcman002

Mike Iglesias wrote:

to see what the current version of the DVD is for your car,> and to get a brief list of the updates.>

Reply to
rcman002

Honda H Emblem Badge Shop and Store Civic Accord Integra Acura Jazz Type-R S2000

Where can I buy Honda H Emblem Badge Red, Blue, Black, White, Yellow ?

Who buy these badge in

?

Please comment and address about this shop of price and services ..

Regards,

RC Man

John Horner wrote:

Reply to
rcman002

The navi dvd get updated (such as it is) between Oct and Dec of any year.

The data base updates are dubious at best. I would wager 90% that what ever you would like to see in the update, will not be there.

It's best to wait several years from the original revision before paying $200 for the updated dvd.

I have heard recently that there is a "Buy" and "Try" grace period > I have a 2005 Honda Navigation DVD (orange v3.4, I think) in the

-- Tp,

-------- __o

----- -\

Reply to
TomP

I agree with that. I bought one update for our '03 Accord in '05 and was disappointed by how out of date the information still was.

I would never bother with annual updating. Maybe once every second or third year.

John

Reply to
John Horner

The whole DVD thing is a rip-off. $200+ makes $3 a gallon look very reasonable.

I just bought a newly-released Garmin c530 nav unit for $493 shipped. It has version 8 maps (from the same vendor the automakers use) which was just released 2 months ago and seems very up to date, even though there's been a lot of construction in Dallas/Ft.Worth. The update costs $75 to download every 12-18 months if you want.

Hmmm. If a download costs $75, there's no excuse for a mailed DVD to cost more than $80.

Screw Honda Acura and their $200 DVD's. Screw not being able to access the GPS except sitting in your car. Screw having to use a nav screen to adjust the a/c's fan speed. The satellite radio is confusing enough, without adding nav to the "bargain."

Reply to
jmattis

Corrections: Garmin's NEW pricing policy of $75 per update applies to both the download (which you apparently need for the C530)as well as the DVD's which they mail out for those of use with 2610's and Quest units. Last year's update cost me, I think, $129.

They just e-mailed me to let me know they are available. They send me the DVD for free and then I pay them the fee when I unlock the DVD to my units. Incidentally, unless they changed their policy with this price drop, each unlock code can be used to update TWO separate Garmin GPS units.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Thanks for all the advice, I'll wait until this winter for the next update.

- regarding the frequency of Honda updates, they appear to be only about a year behind in Boston, so I'm pleased with the frequency. In any case, I plan to "testdrive" the updates at a dealer before purchasing

- regarding the return policy, my dealer told me there is a 30 day money back guarantee on the DVD's.

- in comparison to Garmin, I agree the Honda system is certainly more expensive. I prefer it, however, because of the integrated voice including radio shut-off while speaking, and because it integrates with the wheels as a double-check on the GPS for added accuracy. Also, Honda appears to be the only vendor that remembers road speeds and uses the actual "experienced" speeds when planning directions.

-MVL

Reply to
mvl_groups_user

I guess you told US!!!!!

-- Tp,

-------- __o

----- -\

Reply to
TomP

The speedo and other inertial cross-checks are integrated into older (including current Honda) GPS nav units, because the receivers lose the satellite lock so easily. The GPS then guesses where the car really is.

The latest SIRF chips in the Garmin units hardly ever lose satellite lock, even without an external antenna on top of the car. I have been under extremely wide overpasses, on the first floor of a 3 floor building, etc. -- and the Garmin still knows where it is.

Reply to
jmattis

Garmin appears to do this on my GPS 10.

Reply to