Which Acura is based on Accord?

I just bought a TL and let the salesman give me the story on the TSX, he said the TSX was called the Honda Accord outside of the states. I don't know if he was right but he had no reason to lie.

Reply to
Jim Tiberio

Dean Dark wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Well OK, but where did the chassis come from? Nobody has any definitive answer on that question.

My suspicion is that Honda used a modification of at least one existing Honda chassis to make the NSX.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

In the UK, the TSX is known as the Honda Accord Saloon, in Australia it's the Honda Accord Euro. The TL is known as the Honda Accord. That tallies with your salesman, so yes, he's right.

Reply to
michael t

My best guess is that they cribbed it from the mid 80s Alcan-Ferrari experimentation with all-aluminum construction that spawned the Ferrari 408, which thankfully never got past the prototype stage:

The 408 was all-wheel drive, I'll grant you, but I always thought that the chassis layout & design and even the somewhat wacky body styling were way too close to being an NSX prototype for it to be entirely coincidental.

I wouldn't have thought it would make any sense to recast an existing steel chassis in aluminum. You can't use steel and aluminum the same way. Maybe they did just that? Who knows?

Reply to
Dean Dark

Dean Dark wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Not as pretty as the NSX...

I find many mid-engine "supercar" designs look similar.

I didn't know the NSX had an aluminum chassis. From what I understand, a switch from steel to aluminum would not be practical. You're better off to design in aluminum from scratch. Sounds like Honda really did make a unique platform for the NSX.

Interesting thread here:

TeGGeR®

The resemblance to the 408 is not just superficial, it's more in the design and construction methods of the chassis or "platform," including the construction materials. It's all speculation, of course.

NSX Prime is a great site for the FAQs and technical data, but there's way too much 'K3WL' and 'Awesome!' in the forums for my taste...

Reply to
Dean Dark