2001 A4 motor problems

I have a 2001 A$ with the 1.8 turbo. My engine died the other day and wouldn't start. I had it towed and the mechanic says no compression. He thinks the gear spun on the upper camshaft. The timing belt didn't jump and it still lines up correctly. Probably tke chain driven cam out. Do you think it caused major engine damage? The engine spins when you try to start. I didn't hear any abnormal noise like valves hitting pistons, etc. He wants 4-5 grand to install used engine. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Reply to
<T_Diver

I listened to a 2002 or 2003 V6 engine that wouldn't start. To me it sounded like the timing belt had broken since it sounded like it had no compression. It was towed to the dealer, under warranty, and the engine was only flooded.

Hope that is your case. Easy to see if the gear spun by pulling off the valve cover.

If your vehicle was purchased new didn't you get a 10 year 100K mile warranty on the powertrain?

Good luck!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Likely you have carbon buildup on your valves. Keep cranking the engine while holding down the throttle until the car starts. A few quick pumps on the throttle bringing up the rpm should clear it out. It's a common thing for the valves to stick causing no compression on these engines. Try to use premium octane gas after you get it started to help keep things clean.

Reply to
Madesio

I had a mechanic look at it and he thinks the gear on the intake cam is out of sync. He wants to put in a new engine because he thinks the valves are all bent and the pistons destroyed. He didn't take the head off, so how can he be sure of the damage? I towed it home and will take the head off myself and look. Any other suggestions or comments are welcomed. Thanks

Reply to
<T_Diver

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1
1.8t? V6 or ??? triple check before replacing the engine I find that mechanic's diagnosis a little hard to believe. I would suggest a leak down test. That might help determine what is wrong and where the compression is disappearing to.

So could an oil sludge problem cause this also?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Though I've come across broken camshaft key-ways on occasion, it's not a fairly common problem. Lack of oil pressure seizing the camshafts was usually the case in those circumstances.

Remove the upper plastic timing belt cover. Line up the camshaft sprocket and the crankshaft pulley to their corresponding timing marks. Remove the bolt holding camshaft sprocket (don't worry the sprocket will remain there as long as you don't pull it off). Get yourself a mirror and verify that the key-way is where it's supposed to be. If it is, refer to my other post.

Reply to
Madesio

Thanks for your reply. I have not been able to find your other post. You sound very knowledgable and I will follow your advice. I ordered a manual to help along. I don't trust these mechanics. I think they just want to replace a motor and make some cash. The only way to know for sure is open the motor I suppose. If it's not too much trouble could you advise me what you wrote in your other post? Thanks for your help.

Reply to
<T_Diver

From: Madesio Subject: Re: 2001 A4 motor problems Newsgroups: alt.autos.audi Message-ID: